Welcome to Skype Ideas!

UPDATEMicrosoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more.

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.
Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.

• If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!

The Skype Team
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Identity: One ID as Proxy for another ID

I should be able to give another account authorization to act on my account's behalf. Messaging, calling, contact management, payments, everything.

Options for full disclosure ("George skyping for Mary"), partial ("an authorized delegate skyping for May"), and no disclosure.

Contexts:

• A lawyer should be able to log in as herself and act on behalf of a client's account.

• A parent for a minor child.

• An adult child for a parent with dementia.

• One employee (signed in as themself) for a corporate account.

• A friend for a friend on vacation.

• A bot for a user.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The screen will not be split into two halves

Hi Skype, please promptly fix the bug in the latest version of skype for mobiles. The screen will not be split into two halves during a video call (I'm on one half of the screen and my other friend) It's bad and impractical, I can not see how I look. Please make a quick fix. Well thank you.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. blocked

In the old Skype, blocked contacts showed up in search results. I miss that feature very much, please bring it back!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. /kickban user Bans members for joining or being added to your group chat Skype room.

This command by admin in a Skype Group chat adds users to a Ban list. Even if you make a room not joinable, others can still add people. This never made sense. In Moderated rooms (which should be the default - its not in Classic on Cloud rooms), Admin can make it possible with the /set banlist or the /kickban commands to ban users from either joining or being added by others (even if joining is not enabled).

You really should add Group as a category for these Skype Ideas!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the "adjust microphone automatically" button

Last time I updated to Skype 8, whenever I was in a call, Skype would automatically raise and lower my mic volume REGARDLESS of whether the setting was turned off. This makes recording my voice while in a call all the more difficult because I have to amplify certain sections more than others based on how Skype adjusted the volume.
    Thanks!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop forcing the update and keep Skype 7 alive!

Skype 7 works fine for me and all my needs. The new update does not function for me on my desktop. It works like an annoying app. I hate it. Most people do. Stop forcing everyone to update and allow us to use the old version if we want to.

1,504 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

459 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize moving away from older versions of Skype is an inconvenience and we’re sorry for that. We wouldn’t be moving everyone forward if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. Watch this site for news about features we’re adding to the current version of Skype and reach out to @SkypeSupport on Twitter if you need help getting settled in the new app.

Thanks all for all the comments and votes around this topic.

7. Bring back USERNAMES

Allow us to change Skype username!

1,575 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

453 comments  ·  Profile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Select portions of text like single words or emails in messages

I can't select what I need, have to copy whole message, paste to notepad.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add contact to an existing call

When in a call with a contact - if another contact changes status to Online you can then drag and drop that contact into the call you're already in. This worked perfectly in v7 but in v8 you have to carry out multiple steps to achieve the same result. Please keep it simple. This is great for online business meetings/gaming/family calls when contacts arrive online at different times.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 123 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. All contacts in Contacts tab are already in alphabetical order. The Chat tab is a chronological list based on activity. It can be sorted either by unread messages first or by last activity first.
    - Petr

12. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Skype needs a huge improvements in privacy and integrety protection settings

GDPR stipulates that no Personal User data should be collected, leaked, displayed, transferred, processed and so on.

Any processing, collection, displaying of personal user data is illegal if there's an alternative way, or a less intrusive way to solve the task for whatever the reason was for collecting or processing said personal information.

GDPR also stipulates that unless Microsoft has a significant business based reason for collecting and processing any personal data, the benefits for the user must outweigh the privacy and integrity violation of said personal data.

Everything in Skype is Personal Data according to the definition in GDPR.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. There should be a way to set the priority order of devices used for audio and video out and in

Computers these days don't have a fixed set of hardware devices, it can completely change in a moments notice.

For example, a microsoft surface device could be plugged into a "docking" station, and using the video card in the keyboard unit, a camera connected to the keyboard unit, a professional usb microphone connected to the keyboard unit, two large 32" screens are used for display. With a keypress, every single one of those units goes away. And the other way around, when the keyboard is plugged in, these devices show up and become available.

Whenever something like this occur, skype…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. By default Skype should always leave and display text as it was typed

Trust people to know what they are doing, and transfer text the way it was typed, and display it so it looks exactly like it looked on the senders side.

Text coming from the clipboard, or being dragged onto a contact or the send message text box should also be treated this way. The text should look the same on the receiver side as it would look if it were pasted into notepad.exe.

Smilies and shit should be an opt in option, for all sake, do a huge poput the first time you encounter something that you believe could be…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Spelling: It should be possible to set the default communication language for each contact in Skype

Each contact should have a setting for the language you use communicating with this contact.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Skype should allow users to select display language

Skype should, when installed, give the option to select the display language used to display the User Interface in Skype.

There should be no assumptions made regarding Culture based on this selection (culture is the setting which dictates how time, date, numbers, decimal points, thousand separators and so on should be used).

Either Culture should be picked up from the underlying Operating System or it should have it's own setting.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Show local time for contacts

I would be nice to see contacts local time, especial for Countries with different time zones Read: USA Canada Australia ………..and the fact that DTS are on different dates in different part of the world, would make it even more useful .

256 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)