Welcome to Skype Ideas!

UPDATEMicrosoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more.

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.
Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.

• If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!

The Skype Team
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use GStreamer for video encoding/decoding

Right now Skype video encoding/decoding spends a great deal of CPU, which makes Skype an outsider to laptops, notebooks, tablets, phones, etc.

Instead, let's make Skype to use the cross-platform video-decoding API GStreamer¹. The API is available on all major platforms that Skype supports, i.e. Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, Windows; so it should be very benefical, and easy to maintain.

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GStreamer

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Put chat message area back on bottom. Not right/left side.

Right/left side chat is awkward/uncomfortable and reduces screen space. Put chat back on the bottom and underneath the screen area. 6.21 was the last version that did this. Whether it was a call, chat, or screenshare, big or small window, chat was always on bottom, underneath the screen. Or, at least, include an option allowing chat to be moved to this more user friendly position.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Skype should follow Microsofts design guidelines

It should go without saying that Microsoft should follow your own design guidelines.

Microsoft UWP design guidelines:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design

Microsoft design guidelines for desktop applications:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design

In addition to this you should consult Jakob Nielsen (not optional) and without exception follow all his recommendations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Nielsen_(usability_consultant)

313 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Version 8 on Windows 10 Mobile

I'm fully aware that Windows 10 mobile isn't high priority anymore, but since Skype v8 is still a UWP target for 14393, please allow it on mobile phones as well.

If you're not sure if the quality is there yet, an option would be to only allow it as an preview (opted in) version only. So people who want to use the newer version can if they want to.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Skype should be a native application on each platform

Skype is, still, used by a huge amount of users so it deserves a real native version for each device/platform.

A native application is also the only want to keep Skype small, fast and lag free on the less powerful devices.

A native application is also needed to take full advantage of each platform, and to make sure look like a iPhone app on iPhone and as an Android app on Android.

Skype is a communication system that need to integrate very closely with the device and operating system where it is installed. Skype should behave as the built in…

156 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We work to make Skype work seamlessly on each of the platforms where it’s available. Please do share specific feedback on integration we may not have nailed yet. It push us to innovate, problem solve, and really understand your needs. We love this kind of feedback!
    - Petr

7. support copy/paste of ANY media type

It should be possible to copy/paste any media type to or from Skype.

Skype should provide all possible clipboard formats for data copied from Skype. Ex, If I copy a jpg photo someone sent me, it should be provided to the clipboard in all possible image formats (dib, wmf, gif, png, jpg, tiff, bmp, ...) and if the image contain text, then the output of an OCR of the image should be there as well. The original type is the default.

When copying data to Skype, a best effort should be made to get that data into the message. As…

269 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all who voted for this suggestion! We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to meet your needs and really appreciate your support and patience. I’ll let you know if anything changes.
    - Petr

8. Skype shouldnfirst and foremost be a tool for sending ahort rich text messages. Next should be audio and voice.calls, and last video

Dont make any assumption on how Skype is used!

First priority should be to make Skype the best rich text message tool there is. It should be fast, efficient and highly configurable. Make all "bloat" like emojis, avatars, profile pictures and other non essential stuff optional opt-in settings. That is, by default use a plain listbox for contacts and form with a listbox, and editbox and a send button for chatting with a contact. K.I.S.S.

Second, make skype the best voice communication application out there by, again, remove all "bloat". Keep the GUI clean, simple, productive and intuitive. Less is…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve performance - Skype should have a minimal memory and cpu footprint

Most of the time Skype is running in the background as non-active application. When it does and is idle (not processing user input), it should consume zero cpu and have a minimal footprint.

Skype need to be able to keep the most essential parts from getting swapped out to ensure a snappy, fast and lag-free response when a a call or message is received, or when the user wants to interact with the Skype application.

When Skype is active it still need to use minimal cpu and memory, so to not interfere with other activities the user is doing while…

568 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

93 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality of Skype. Please feel free to report any crashes or performance issues on answers.microsoft.com including steps that lead to a crash so that the community can help troubleshoot the issue.
    - Petr

10. Send Messages! This should be a given.

I was using the most current version of Skype on my Windows 7 machine and my husband was using the most current version of Skype for his Windows 10 machine at his workplace. He would send messages and I would not receive them. I had Skype on my phone. Occasionally I would see a message from him there that did not show up on my desktop version, or the other way around.

I asked the Skype community and chatted with two skype workers only to be told I was the only one with this complaint so there was nothing that…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option to hide profile pictures in Contact / Chats / Calls list

In Skype 7 it was possible to hide the profile pictures in the Contacts list etc. The profile pictures only take away space in my opinion. On a full screen it was possible to see almost twice as many contacts in the list without the profile pictures in Skype 7, as now in Skype 8. Additionally most contacts use nonsense pictures that are not easy to the eye. So please make it possible to disable the profile pictures again.

112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to best meet your needs. Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and understand your needs.
    Thank you for helping us improve Skype.
    - Petr

12. Skype should work without a mouse or anyother form of a pointing device

There should be no need for any for of a pointing device to use all aspects of Skype.

Skype should fully support and follow the standard way key input is used in Windows.

Skype should only use standard Windows control to make sure key input work consistently with other native Windows applications like notepad.exe and regedit.exe

53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support and respect the reginal settings of the OS

Skype should use the Operating Systems setting for Culture and UICulture.

What that mean is that the display language has NOTHING to do with how to format and display dates. Times currency and so on.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2,085 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

429 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. We love Skype version 7 too. We’re working to build the Skype experience you’ve come to depend on for so long on today’s platforms for today’s user. It would be impossible to bring back the full catalog of features available in previous versions of Skype all at once, our engineering systems just don’t work that way. We are committed to evolving the current Skype experience to match your needs over time. As we release new Skype features, we’ll update this site. You can also follow @Skype and @SkypeInsider on Twitter for the latest news too.
    Thank you all for your feedback.

15. Customization for hotkeys and shortcuts

Once again, like in Skype 7, which can both change global hotkeys and local shortcuts.

155 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Navigate history by time period (previous month, etc)

We should be able to go to a previous date, or at least rough time period, fairly easily. This isn't even very good on Skype 7, but at least it makes an attempt.

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Desktop API for Skype 8

I have a Plantronics .Audio 628 Skype certified Headset that has inline controls particularly an Answer/End Call button that use the Plantronics Hub program to make it work. That program uses Desktop API which is available in Classic Skype.

Unfortunately Desktop API seems to be ABSENT in Skype 8.

I would like to have the answer/end call buttons to work with Skype 8 so I could answer or end calls faster. So please bring Desktop API to Skype 8

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    We hear you  ·  Cagla at Skype responded

Thank you for your feedback. We already support some human interface device (HID) commands on our Universal Windows Platform Skype app. Our current support includes end call, mute/unmute your mic, and increase/decrease volume.
    You can install our UWP app from the Windows Store app.

18. A movable border between typing area and past messages

The divider should allow being moved and remember its position. Again, like in Skype 7.

Often I want a larger typing area than one line at the start (rather than waiting), and it's tedious resizing it with a bunch of Ctrl-Enters. Even then you're limited.

106 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Double-click a contact to call

Another feature from older Skypes.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Autosave an unsent chat message

In the case of an app or system crash, most (if not all) of the unsent text would be there afterwards. The way it is now, all unsent text is lost, which sometimes is extremely painful.

Plenty of programs can do this, such as Telegram or Word. It should be especially easy for Skype due to the cloud.

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base