Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Missed call notifications

You leave a message saying "Missed call from XXXXXXX" if someone tries to call you and you do not answer. If YOU try someone and they do not answer the message reads "Missed call".

Why not say "Missed call from you" or "Missed call to XXXXX"?

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Import contacts from Ms Outlook. Worked before the 8.2 and 8.3 updates

Import contacts from Ms Outlook. Worked before the 8.2 and 8.3 updates

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop shifting (or bouncing) the entire window of text for new message notification!

When trying to read through previous messages in a group chat (on desktop version), the entire body of text bounces, even when trying to scroll down. When multiple messages are still arriving, the bouncing text is very difficult to read and becomes quite frustrating (especially with lively conversations)!!!! Request to disable the shifting/bouncing text on the desktop application and replace it with say an icon animation (or nothing at all since the new message alerts fill up the side of my screen anyways).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use standard scroll bar control

The scroll bar does not work correctly. Standard windows scroll bars have a rich set of behavior, but the custom control used in Skype is missing some of it.

Clicking above or below the thumb should scroll up or down by one page. It does not.

It disappears when the mouse leaves the window.

It changes width on mouse-over, making it harder to hit (Fitts' law)

It does at least capture the mouse.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When clicking on images in Skype, open in default picture viewer

When I receive images / pictures on Skype now, I used to be able to click on them and it would open in my default picture viewer so I could view it correctly, full-screen and be able to zoom, print etc.

Now... it takes me away from the chat area and displays the image in Skype. For a useability point-of-view, this is now useless. Most images I get are larger so the scaled down version cannot be seen correctly. I have to then "right-click" and "Open" to view the image in my default picture viewer.

This is a huge step…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Do not default back to active status whenever logging in or using Skype. Allow the default to be invisible, until changed otherwise by user.

Do not default back to active status whenever logging in or using Skype. Allow the default to be invisible, until changed otherwise by user.

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. sign out

PRIVACY ISSUE... your new version 8 DESKTOP application allows ANYONE access to others skype accounts.. This is a serious breach of EVERYONES PRIVACY.. I updated to your new version this morning to check this as I have made several attempts to BRING IT to your attention to fix it. Your new version gave me the option of signing in with my account or another.. I clicked my account and OMFG you logged right into it - NO PASSWORD OR VERIFICATION NEEDED... SERIOUSLY MICROSOFT??? I always sign out and quit Skype when I log off at work.. Version 7 protects my…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Need privacy setting

Earlier version used to have Options and within it had the option for Privacy setting. Can't find the feature anymore.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Full screen (Skype for Desktop)

Please bring back the full screen option for Skype for Desktop. I don't understand why this would ever be removed.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SYNC chat history, calls log and attached files and photos to APPLE ICLOUD

please give me the option to SYNC chat history, calls log and attached files and photos to APPLE ICLOUD so I will have them available on all my Apple devices.

This is good for availability to consult history on all my devices and also good for having a backup too for new devices where I will install Skype from zero.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I would like the ability to clear all my conversations at one even if its something like a check box there I have t select all.

I would like the ability to clear all my conversations at one even if its something like a check box there I have t select all.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Suggested contacts tab needs to go.

Suggested contacts tab needs to go. Nobody needs sugested in contacts they already know. It is just a waste of time and space.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bring back the jump history/copy paste

Please bring back the old feature wherein we can easily jump back in previous conversations in a matter of just clicking. Also, copy & paste of conversations before looked way better and convenient than the current.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Timer to turn off Do Not Disturb

It would be cool to be able to set a timer when turning on Do Not Disturb so that status changes back to Active when timer runs out

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Focus the textbox (for typing immediately) when click open Skype from Windows notification.

Focus the textbox (for typing immediately) when click open Skype from Windows notification.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Put back the "check for updates manually"button back under the "help" button.

Put back the "check for updates manually"button back under the "help" button.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Auto Export Message History

Put something in that will notify users when their cloud-stored history is about to start overwriting, and suggest they export their message history (or make this automatic). Exports should also be stored as a readily accessible, rather than proprietary file type, and should be indexed for quick and efficient search. Nobody should EVER lose old messages just because their cloud storage is only good for a rolling two-year window!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I need compact and simple chat UI for PC.

I need multi windows on PC without overrappig each other. so skype message window should be placed side with small and simple.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Home Button in Skype Version 8.30

Hello

I am using Skype Version 8.30 & I want to inform you that One Feature is missing, which I get after Skype Classic Version 7.

if we Open a Chat and we want to close (Minimize) that Chat then we can't do that, for that we need Home button which was given in Skype Classic, which was a much better option for users to close or minimize the Chat.

please Add this Feature ASAP.

Waiting for your Valuable reply,

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. bring back the small chat window

bring back the minimized small chat window so that everyone in the office cant see my private chats with my wife

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base