Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the TINY chat window during audio call!!!!!!!

I MUST have a large chat window in which to type during audio calls. It's so small that it's not usable. What were you guys thinking to shrink it the minute an audio call starts???? It's made Skype unusable for me!!!!!!!!!!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow me to port my existing number to Skype

Please allow me to port an existing phone number to Skype. Google Voice has this ability. Why not Skype?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Paid products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show Outlook Contacts

Skype does not show my Outlook Contacts, now you can't call your Outlook or iPhone Contacts, unless you dial. Please have an Outlook Contact only for the desktop app as in previous versions..

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Appearance

Maybe different color for the conversation text box for each chat participant

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow a spelling to be added to your dictionary.

If Skype thinks a word is misspelled and its correct let me add it to the dictionary!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add Auto-Translate or Instant Translate

Current flow for communicating with people who don't speak English is not convenient.
    Include an option to translate a message on right click and add a translation bellow the message.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. restore options for history and privacy

have options for history and privacy

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make the Layout customizable

Please don't force the user to accept an unchangeable, yet ever-changing layout. Give them options like the following ones:

• Let them chose where the chat is during a call. It used to be below, then you put it to the right, now it's on the left. For me, below works best by far.

• Make the chat's size (width or height if below call) customizable. This also applies to only having the chat without a call.

• Make your own chat texts left aligned in a fixed sized bubble, as it has been. Just like Lamborghini doesn't adopt the appearance of the…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Need to save subtitles from a meeting call to a file.

I like the new subtitles feature. It potentially provides the notes from an online meeting. We need to save these to a file.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Subtitles

Skype added subtitles in December 2018, and that's definitely a great first step! I am a cochlear implant recipient, and have used closed captioning for 20 years. You can imagine I was very happy about this, and I have used these new subtitles several times. So far, I always turn it off quickly into the skype video call. There are two reasons for this:
    1. The subtitles are shown for both parties - this is very cumbersome to follow and actually unnecessary. I know what I said! Please change this to only show the other party's comment subtitles.
    2. the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I want to activate or deactivate automatic updates

Allow the users to deactivate automatic updates..or at least automatic installation of updates

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Group Chat feature needs to be completed

The Group chat feature in version 8 needs to work like version 7! In version 8 you have to set up a new window every time you need to group chat if someone has to be connected by phone!
    Most of the the time you're calling back on a group chat window. The old version would stay set up, or allow you to change one of the participants to connect over the phone on the fly! If someone was having a problem with his Skype connection, we could switch him over to the phone to connect in a group chat. …

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I'd like to record my video calls. If that isn't possible, why not create that possibility?

I'd like to record my video calls. If that isn't possible, why not create that possibility?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bring Back Disabling Formatting!

Please, for the love of all things holy, bring back the ability to disable special formatting. This is a deal breaker and the UTTER inability to turn it off so I have plain, basic text is off-putting and making me seriously consider leaving Skype altogether after having been a paying customer for YEARS

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. checkbox not to remember sign in credentials

introduce checkbox "not to remember sign in credentials". It is frustrating to sign out picking a choice to forget details all the time with bunch of prompts for "yes" and "no"

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to put disconnect video from the message area and manage size and position independently (even put on 2nd monitor)

The new windows application is too much phone-oriented. A real PC needs more control than a phone: need to be able to size the video and messages indepentently, ability to put message window on separate screen, or at least float it without connecting to video.

Note: Skype 8 app is SLUGGISH! compared to the desktop application. Today i was forced to downgrade to Skype 8 Windows app ( can't call it an upgrade)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. No messaging notifications on the new Skype

The old version of Skype would notify you of a new message. I have been FORCED onto the latest version, but have no notice if someone messages me. Why on earth would you remove this?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. No messaging notifications on the new Skype

The old version of Skype would notify you of a new message. I have been FORCED onto the latest version, but have no notice if someone messages me. Why on earth would you remove this?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Scurity? Automatically logging in???

So although Skype 8 is inferior in any other aspect at least I read everywhere it was very secure. So I tried it and the surprise. Exiting Skype doesn't log you out - just by pressing the Skype icon again it logs automatically in. LMAO

How is this more secure product that previous Skype versions?! It's not. I need to manually logoff every time and not only logoff but logoff and forget sign in details. LMAO

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. About Contacts

First I need Contacts to be my default tab Skype starts in.

Secondly when I select "Show only online contacts" it should shows not only green but yellow and red too. Those are online contacts with different status. Most of my friends are with Away status although they are online.

To me it seems the programmers of Skype 8 are all people that never used it in the last 12 years. They don't understand the dynamic of Skype. Only using excel tables with statistics isn't a good understanding of a product. You need to USE it to understand it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base