Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Import / Export contacts on new versions

Since Classic Skype version was just canceled, the new versions have no backup / import contacts features, and Skype is filled with security breaches that causes accounts to be hacked all over => It is essential to add the import / export contacts (to .vcf) on the new Skype versions for security reasons.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Are you cutting or adding features ? I am unable to share My Desktop with the others like i was able to do in previous version !

Are you cutting or adding features ? I am unable to share My Desktop with the others like i was able to do in previous version !

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable seeing chat history date also. At present only day being shown, it is difficult to see the date of a historical chat

Enable seeing chat history "date" also. At present only day is being shown, it is difficult to see the date of a historical chat.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. date and time

It seems that the format of date and time is set by Skype 8, rather than using the users settings (as defined by the user in Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region [Win7]), which is weird.... It would be better is, like in Skype 7, time and date formats would be those set for the computer, since then it would be homogeneous throughout all applications. Please, have Skype 8 to read the date and time format of the computer rather than imposing its own.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Need to have the option to adjust audio settings on mobile devices:

Not having the option to adjust the audio settings when using Skype on my mobile device is horrible. It makes it extremely difficult to have much quality at all during a voice call. Please make this improvement. It would be more than greatly appreciated.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please allow old skype accounts with same hotmail email to be merged with hotmail account so we can see and use everything under 1 account.

Allow for merging information under old skype account with hotmail account so I dont need to have 2 skype accounts.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Put the date on the messages, not just the day

I have a 27" monitor . . . Screen space is not at a premium anymore . . . This would be important, anyway

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Stop sending out updates and revert to the last version before you bought it and ruined it in 2011

Pkease give us back the original 2010 version of Skype, you know the one that worked before Microsoft trashed it. Currently Skype is so bad I only use it when I really have no choice. Like windows 10 it is a total disaster and eats data. Scrap version 8 at the very least it is useless

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sound Alert for Incoming Messages while skype and a chat is opened in skype for windows desktop

There was a useful feature in skype8 that it can indicate incoming messages with a sound even when the application/or/chat is currently opened, but in v8.3.4, there is no such option remains in the skype settings, nor under notifications or sounds. Why have you removed that feature? there is no logic to remove this option without any solid reason in skype desktop client. It was very helpful for a VI user to know about new message with an audio alert. Kindly do something positive and bring that feature back to skype8 series. so we can try to use it with…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Don't force close Skype 7 while I'm in the middle of a call to make me upgrade

today, instead of just a dialog I could dismiss, the demand that I upgrade from Skype 7 actually DISCONNECTED MY CALL, closed the app and did not allow me to continue using Skype 7 at all. This is about the worst customer experience I could imagine because I was actually speaking to someone and the call just cut off and I couldn't redial. I have no idea if my blocking bugs in new versions of Skype have been fixed; I just know that Skype thought the desire to force me to upgrade was more important than my business call.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Conversation history

Provide for permanently DELETING the ENTIRE conversation history AT ONE GO! Deleting one at a time is sheer waste of time and efforts.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. functionality on old version 7 not available on the new one

In the old version 7 of skype it was possible to see last contact access with format year year day hour minutes and seconds putting your status on Offline. In the new is possible to see only the time since the last time the contact was online (x hours ago, y days ago, etc.).
    Is it possible to see the details as in the previous version?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. This is absolute garbage. This is the same incompetence that resulted in people leaving IE.

Give people back the old version, work the on new version and THEN release a FINISHED product. You're product is now useless to me.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. It would be good to have possibility to hide chat until new message with quote or @mentions

It would be good to have possibility to hide chat (mostly it relates to group chats with friends) not until any new message come, but until new message with quote or @mentions

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bring back copy/paste quoting.

Basically what the title says. I can't think of one good reason to keep the current "right click, select quote" method of quoting when ctlr+c/ctrl+v worked perfectly well in the past and let me copy more than just messages, but / commands (such as member roles or emotes or whatever) and the text they would produce with ease.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. ADD SKYPE HOME . SO WE CAN SEE EVERYONE STATUS IN SKYPE HOME AS OLD VERSION OF SKYPE SO PLZ ADD IN THIS NEW VERSION

Hello

I am using Skype Version 8.30 & I want to inform you that One Feature is missing, which I get after Skype Classic Version 7.

if we Open a Chat and we want to close (Minimize) that Chat then we can't do that, for that we need Home button which was given in Skype Classic, which was a much better option for users to close or minimize the Chat.

please Add this Feature ASAP.

Waiting for your Valuable reply,

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please change how the over all video works!!!

When you minimize the window while in a call, you can see the other person but you can't see yourself. It'd be helpful to be able to see yourself, as well, like in older versions of Skype. Also while in a call (with the window opened), it'd be nice to be able to make the preview of yourself in a larger format so that you can actually see what the other person is seeing-- just like the old version. You also used to be able to switch between your friend's stream or yours interchangeably but now it's a vertical side…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please give the split window feature. It's the only thing keeping me from ditching skype and just using discord.

Now that I've been forced to update, split window is gone. It's the only thing that Skype had that I preferred over discord, so if it doesn't have it there's really no reason for me to use skype.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base