Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make an option to turn on/off Skype from opening when windows starts on windows 10.

I can't find the option to do this on my version of Skype, I'd really appreciate the ability to do this.

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. If you want to stop Skype from starting automatically just go to the Settings – General – and toggle Automatically start Skype to Off.

The option to stop Skype from automatically starting is not available in Skype for Windows 10 (version 14). To stop Skype from automatically starting, just sign out of the app.

Hope it helps :)

- Petr

3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hej! I use the latest version of Mac OS 10.14 Mojave and Skype 8 for Mac. The problem still exists in the latest Preview Version of Skype fo

Hej!

I use the latest version of Mac OS 10.14 Mojave and Skype 8 for Mac. The problem still exists in the latest Preview Version of Skype for Mac.

Symptoms:
    1. Skype crashes and automatically restarts at intervals of around 3-10 minutes.
    2. Skype is very slow in scrolling and entering text.
    3. When Skype us running it uses all available CPU making the fans on my MacBook Pro run at maximum speed.

The problem has existed since the release of Mojave. I have tried a number of ways of fixing it, including reinstalling from scratch while removing all preferences…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, thank you reaching out to us. This forum is intended for new ideas and feature suggestion. If you have a technical issue which needs support, please visit our Skype support site ( support.skype.com ) or our Community ( answers.microsoft.com ) and submit your issue here.

Thank you
    - Petr

5. Keyboard Shortcuts

Please put back the keyboard shortcuts!

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop forcing the update and keep Skype 7 alive!

Skype 7 works fine for me and all my needs. The new update does not function for me on my desktop. It works like an annoying app. I hate it. Most people do. Stop forcing everyone to update and allow us to use the old version if we want to.

1,488 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

458 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize moving away from older versions of Skype is an inconvenience and we’re sorry for that. We wouldn’t be moving everyone forward if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. Watch this site for news about features we’re adding to the current version of Skype and reach out to @SkypeSupport on Twitter if you need help getting settled in the new app.

Thanks all for all the comments and votes around this topic.

7. Skype should be a native application on each platform

Skype is, still, used by a huge amount of users so it deserves a real native version for each device/platform.

A native application is also the only want to keep Skype small, fast and lag free on the less powerful devices.

A native application is also needed to take full advantage of each platform, and to make sure look like a iPhone app on iPhone and as an Android app on Android.

Skype is a communication system that need to integrate very closely with the device and operating system where it is installed. Skype should behave as the built in…

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We work to make Skype work seamlessly on each of the platforms where it’s available. Please do share specific feedback on integration we may not have nailed yet. It push us to innovate, problem solve, and really understand your needs. We love this kind of feedback!
    - Petr

8. Option to hide profile pictures in Contact / Chats / Calls list

In Skype 7 it was possible to hide the profile pictures in the Contacts list etc. The profile pictures only take away space in my opinion. On a full screen it was possible to see almost twice as many contacts in the list without the profile pictures in Skype 7, as now in Skype 8. Additionally most contacts use nonsense pictures that are not easy to the eye. So please make it possible to disable the profile pictures again.

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to best meet your needs. Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and understand your needs.
    Thank you for helping us improve Skype.
    - Petr

9. 2,057 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

425 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. We love Skype version 7 too. We’re working to build the Skype experience you’ve come to depend on for so long on today’s platforms for today’s user. It would be impossible to bring back the full catalog of features available in previous versions of Skype all at once, our engineering systems just don’t work that way. We are committed to evolving the current Skype experience to match your needs over time. As we release new Skype features, we’ll update this site. You can also follow @Skype and @SkypeInsider on Twitter for the latest news too.
    Thank you all for your feedback.

• Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base