Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow for current API software that connects to skype classic to work with skype uwp app.

Allow for current API software that connects to skype classic to work with skype uwp app.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integrate with Google Assistant

It would be great if Skype integrated with google assistant so I can call people hands-free, and without searching for the contacts on my phone.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. live location

Live location share in a group as well as single chat

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Share my location (on a map ?) : "Hello, I'm here!"

It would be nice to add an option to send my location. So I could message "Hello, I'm here!". So my contact can find easily (maybe with a link to a map ?).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lift file sharing limit

Lift the limit on file sharing size. 300MB is nothing. Bring back p2p for sharing.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create a Microsoft 365 Client

Microsoft is busy executing its vision of unification under the banner of Microsoft 365.

There are a few products cluttering up my notification tray, and they all come from Microsoft. Why not combine these into a unified Microsoft 365 sync/action interface?

This would be the starting point for making a fluid experience that would:

Combine Yammer, Teams, SfB , Skype Consumer;
    Combine SharePoint, OneDrive for Business, OneDrive Consumer;
    Combine Office Portal/Search, Office 365 Desktop Apps, and Windows mail/ Windows consumer apps;
    Potentially even combine Dynamics 365 tasks, MS Project tasks, Flow approvals, To-Do tasks, SharePoint Task Lists, etc.

This new…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. add support for phone menu options for example when it says press 1 to continue

When I make a phone call in skype it does not allow me to use their menu options such as 1 for support 2 for orders...
    Please add support for this.
    Thanks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bring back Skype Client on TV

A while back, support for Skype on TV was dropped... I believe it should be reinstated!

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Work more closely with the real users, not the in-house developers who have never made a difference in the history of Microsoft.

Since we first saw Office, the fact all the elements are stand alone apps has never made sense. Office could be one app, with multiple tools in a single screen and less than 60% of the features if we adopt AI in all functions.

I could explain more and also tell you how !

But for over 20 years I have been requesting that we reduce the functionality and loose the ribbons, just look at what is happening with other developers.

Trimble is a good place to start with the fully functional "Sketch Up", it works.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Resizing chould feel smooth

With the new Skype resizing lags, stutters, makes content jump around. And you can also see the beautiful blue background of the app, while it tries to keep up with the smallest of resizing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Better integration with XBOX and features for gamers

Better integration with XBOX:
    1) Skype audio & video calls should be possible while playing games on XBOX
    2) Skype chat should be available on XBOX from the left menu, instead of XBOX chat
    3) I sign in with MSA on Skype and XBOX, can I get my XBOX chat messages on Skype?
    4) allow sending XBox captures as messages on Skype.

Better features for games:
    1) allow answering Skype calls from a Windows Game equivalent
    2) Less CPU usage during audio calls

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Use GStreamer for video encoding/decoding

Right now Skype video encoding/decoding spends a great deal of CPU, which makes Skype an outsider to laptops, notebooks, tablets, phones, etc.

Instead, let's make Skype to use the cross-platform video-decoding API GStreamer¹. The API is available on all major platforms that Skype supports, i.e. Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, Windows; so it should be very benefical, and easy to maintain.

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GStreamer

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow Version 8 on Windows 10 Mobile

I'm fully aware that Windows 10 mobile isn't high priority anymore, but since Skype v8 is still a UWP target for 14393, please allow it on mobile phones as well.

If you're not sure if the quality is there yet, an option would be to only allow it as an preview (opted in) version only. So people who want to use the newer version can if they want to.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Skype should be a native application on each platform

Skype is, still, used by a huge amount of users so it deserves a real native version for each device/platform.

A native application is also the only want to keep Skype small, fast and lag free on the less powerful devices.

A native application is also needed to take full advantage of each platform, and to make sure look like a iPhone app on iPhone and as an Android app on Android.

Skype is a communication system that need to integrate very closely with the device and operating system where it is installed. Skype should behave as the built in…

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We work to make Skype work seamlessly on each of the platforms where it’s available. Please do share specific feedback on integration we may not have nailed yet. It push us to innovate, problem solve, and really understand your needs. We love this kind of feedback!
    - Petr

16. Skype shouldnfirst and foremost be a tool for sending ahort rich text messages. Next should be audio and voice.calls, and last video

Dont make any assumption on how Skype is used!

First priority should be to make Skype the best rich text message tool there is. It should be fast, efficient and highly configurable. Make all "bloat" like emojis, avatars, profile pictures and other non essential stuff optional opt-in settings. That is, by default use a plain listbox for contacts and form with a listbox, and editbox and a send button for chatting with a contact. K.I.S.S.

Second, make skype the best voice communication application out there by, again, remove all "bloat". Keep the GUI clean, simple, productive and intuitive. Less is…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve performance - Skype should have a minimal memory and cpu footprint

Most of the time Skype is running in the background as non-active application. When it does and is idle (not processing user input), it should consume zero cpu and have a minimal footprint.

Skype need to be able to keep the most essential parts from getting swapped out to ensure a snappy, fast and lag-free response when a a call or message is received, or when the user wants to interact with the Skype application.

When Skype is active it still need to use minimal cpu and memory, so to not interfere with other activities the user is doing while…

554 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality of Skype. Please feel free to report any crashes or performance issues on answers.microsoft.com including steps that lead to a crash so that the community can help troubleshoot the issue.
    - Petr

18. Option to hide profile pictures in Contact / Chats / Calls list

In Skype 7 it was possible to hide the profile pictures in the Contacts list etc. The profile pictures only take away space in my opinion. On a full screen it was possible to see almost twice as many contacts in the list without the profile pictures in Skype 7, as now in Skype 8. Additionally most contacts use nonsense pictures that are not easy to the eye. So please make it possible to disable the profile pictures again.

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to best meet your needs. Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and understand your needs.
    Thank you for helping us improve Skype.
    - Petr

19. Skype should work without a mouse or anyother form of a pointing device

There should be no need for any for of a pointing device to use all aspects of Skype.

Skype should fully support and follow the standard way key input is used in Windows.

Skype should only use standard Windows control to make sure key input work consistently with other native Windows applications like notepad.exe and regedit.exe

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2,059 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

425 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. We love Skype version 7 too. We’re working to build the Skype experience you’ve come to depend on for so long on today’s platforms for today’s user. It would be impossible to bring back the full catalog of features available in previous versions of Skype all at once, our engineering systems just don’t work that way. We are committed to evolving the current Skype experience to match your needs over time. As we release new Skype features, we’ll update this site. You can also follow @Skype and @SkypeInsider on Twitter for the latest news too.
    Thank you all for your feedback.

• Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base