Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Push to talk

Push to Talk. It is a thing. Literally every other VoIP app has this and Skype used to from what I gather.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your comments and votes around this topic! We definitely understand the need here, so I want to let you know that the Skype team is working on it. We will bring push-to-talk to Skype for Windows 10 first and later on to Skype for Windows desktop. I’ll post an update when it’s available :)

- Petr

2. add a telephone number

I used to be able to add someones phone number to their profile (on my skype) so that when they are not available on Skype I can call their phone. This option seems to have disappeared in new versions of Skype. A pity as it made you money as I used my skype credit a lot more.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ringing

Here's an idea - fix the damned ringing feature. I have enabled "ringing on another device" but my PC speakers, although selected, don't ring on incoming calls. The ringing is sent to my headphones as they are set as the default sound devices for calls but if I'm not wearing them I can't hear the bloody ringing.

This worked fine before you lot f*cked everything up with v8.
    Total bunch of muppets.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Working on it  ·  Cagla at Skype responded

Hi there,
    Sorry to hear this feature isn’t working for you.
    Just like in v7, you can only ring your speakers in addition to your headphones if the OS detects any other device other than the internal sound card so 3.5mm headphones wouldn’t work.

If you are still running into the issue using supported OS devices, we will work on fixing it, but we first need your logs.

To send your logs, you need to be on Skype Preview. You can download it from https://www.skype.com/en/insider/. Once you have Skype Preview running, send us your feedback and logs from the app by going to “Settings” , “Help and Feedback" and then clicking on “Report a Problem”.

Thanks!

4. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Working on it  ·  Cagla at Skype responded

Hi there. We are working on adding the ability to share specific apps to Skype 8. Stay tuned!

5. I think everyone agrees that the redesigned Skype 8 is cumbersome and difficult to use

Instead of beating a dead horse and reiterating all of the ideas below, my suggestions for the new Skype 9 are simple:

1. Skype is the only messaging app that I know of that doesn't allow me to use my volume buttons to snap a picture. Please bring that back. One handed operation of any app is pretty standard these days and it's absolutely absurd to force users to use the button on the screen to take a picture. It becomes even more cumbersome if you're trying to record a video.

2. The new message notification is so unobtrusive that I can't…
    29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Some of the most consistent feedback we’ve received from you, our most dedicated users, has to do with sounds and how you are notified about the goings on in Skype 8. We are deeply interested in meeting your needs, and we need your help prioritizing the work we will dive into and the order in which we will accomplish it.

Please be honest with how badly you need these options. We understand that all of these things are important. By rating something lower than another item, you won’t remove it from our To Do list, but rather we’ll get your MUST DOs done first.

In the survey for the scale options please rank how important each item is for you. With 1 being not very important to you and 5 being very important.

https://feedback.skype.com/survey/answer/uvcmp

Thank you
    Petr

6. allow paste into the diaload while in a call in UWP versions of Skype for conference call PINs

the reason I'm still clinging on to the oldest version of Skype that I can on Windows 10 is that I make dozens of conference calls a month and I need to paste in long PIN numbers after the call has connected. this works reasonably well in classic Skype but has never worked in the modern or UWP versions of Skype. since I use Skype primarily for conference calls, this is a significant disadvantage.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Working on it  ·  2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Recognize who is speaking during meetings

It would be REALLY helpful to recognize who is actively speaking during a meeting. For example, if I am on a call with ten different people who I may or may not have met it would be nice to know who specifically is meeting.

WebEx and ZOOM can do this and from the interface they make it very obvious who is speaking by showing their name or indicating audio is coming through their side of the call/meeting.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Wanna let you know that the Skype team is already working on this :) Once available you will always see the active speaker. We can release it during the spring barring any technical issues that we may run into. I’ll post an update when it’s ready.

- Petr

8. Be able to merge two calls together

With an incoming call have the ability to add them to an existing call

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base