Documentation for how exactly Web link previews are fetched, and a tool for re-fetch
Webdevs and their clients around the world need Skype to have the possibility to re-fetch Web link preview images.
Currently, it seems to be 1) no docs for the current Web link preview fetching, 2) no tool for purging and re-fetching the cached image.
Example questions for the docs to answer:
- which meta tags are used for Web link previews?
- how many such meta tags are processed?
- which one og:image is taken, if there are many tags present?
- are there limits on file size, pixel dimensions and proportions of images?
- what happens when there are no og:image, twitter:image or some other meta tags on the page?
- how can someone make Skype re-fetch cached previews?
Thanks for the attention.
After a couple of hours of testing various hypotheses, and waiting for max-age=86400 (seconds, hopefully; response header of a cached image) I still see the old image, the one hated by the client. There is no place in the HTML from where Skype could take that image URL again.
Therefore I have to repeat: we need the docs and the tool on this.