Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to adjust the size of the chat window

Let us adjust the size of the chat window.

121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. All contacts in Contacts tab are already in alphabetical order. The Chat tab is a chronological list based on activity. It can be sorted either by unread messages first or by last activity first.
    - Petr

3. 114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Saving All Chat History From Beginning To Now *&* Moving Forward, W/ The Ability To View Chat History Like Before.

It is very important for many of us to be able to continue to have our chat history on Skype from the beginning to now and moving forward.. Along with the option to view history, like we did on Skype V7, by going to "Conversation" and "View History". This would allow us to go back where we needed, without going at a snail's pace. Whether that be going to the very beginning, a year, or a month. This was very efficient and helpful. Thank you.

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to change ringtone

Option to change ringtone

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bring Back Compact View as it was in Skype 7

Bring Back Compact View.......I will re using the old version until you do

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to hide profile pictures in Contact / Chats / Calls list

In Skype 7 it was possible to hide the profile pictures in the Contacts list etc. The profile pictures only take away space in my opinion. On a full screen it was possible to see almost twice as many contacts in the list without the profile pictures in Skype 7, as now in Skype 8. Additionally most contacts use nonsense pictures that are not easy to the eye. So please make it possible to disable the profile pictures again.

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to best meet your needs. Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and understand your needs.
    Thank you for helping us improve Skype.
    - Petr

8. Cortana integration

Cortana should be opt-in only and the option to remove or opt-out available.

It's that simple.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. A movable border between typing area and past messages

The divider should allow being moved and remember its position. Again, like in Skype 7.

Often I want a larger typing area than one line at the start (rather than waiting), and it's tedious resizing it with a bunch of Ctrl-Enters. Even then you're limited.

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Organizing contacts the way we want in Favorites &, then, Skype keeping contacts in alphabetical order, like before. No suggestions, please.

Let us be able to organize contacts the way we could in V7, especially with "Favorites". I have six in "Favorites" and I love being able to organize them from top to bottom, with who I need to talk to the most. Someone special is at the top and I'd like them to stay there, above anything, including suggestions. On Skype V8, Skype's suggestions were at the top and "Favorites" were underneath and not how we organized them, either, but all out of order. How it was organized in V7 was perfect. Thank you.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    We hear you  ·  Paul responded

We will not force you to see Suggestions in your Contact list soon…

11. Properly restore ability to vary the font and font size of chat

The thread "Ability to vary the font and font size of chat" was wrongly marked as "Complete". (https://skype.uservoice.com/forums/914527-welcome-to-skype-ideas/suggestions/35074219-ability-to-vary-the-font-and-font-size-of-chat)

Since users cannot reopen closed threads, our only recourse is to create a new thread.

In Skype 7, it was possible to set the choice of font and the precise size of the font to be used for chats. In Skype 8, this was removed.

Skype 8 has added a choice of five vaguely-named sizes but does not allow selection of the font or proper control of the font size.

We therefore request the restoration of the actual settings available…

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Refine your compromised account detection system.

Non-compromised accounts of English as a Second Language tutors of RareJob Inc. who use personal skype accounts in contacting students who use personal accounts are being suspended/deactivated for sending contact requests.

Their line of business via Skype should not be violations of the Fair Use Policy.

RareJob Inc. Can be considered as one of your loyal customers for 11 years and counting.

You already messed up with the UI. Will you also mess up the usage itself of Skype?

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. We want Skype for Android TV

Although Skype announced the end of support for the Skype application for Smart TVs, Microsoft should reconsider its decision and start supporting at least Skype for the Android TV operating system, that way we could use any Webcam with UVC (USB Video Device Class) such as the Logitech C920, which is currently used by a video call application called Trueconf, which Skype can compete with and regain its leadership in that market.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add a record option for audio (Skype to Skype/Mobile) and video and other recording features/options

Add a record option for audio and video both sides of the conversation or the option for one side only

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Recognize who is speaking during meetings

It would be REALLY helpful to recognize who is actively speaking during a meeting. For example, if I am on a call with ten different people who I may or may not have met it would be nice to know who specifically is meeting.

WebEx and ZOOM can do this and from the interface they make it very obvious who is speaking by showing their name or indicating audio is coming through their side of the call/meeting.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Wanna let you know that the Skype team is already working on this :) Once available you will always see the active speaker. We can release it during the spring barring any technical issues that we may run into. I’ll post an update when it’s ready.

- Petr

17. Skype should allow me to transfer a call session between devices

I might start a call on my iPad, or on a web client, but want to transfer my call over to my phone, my surface, my surface hub, mac, or other signed-in devices. I should be able to hit a transfer button to send a call to another active device on my account. There should be a quick hand-off, and the call should activate there without interruption, in group/individual calls.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to meet your needs. Please continue to contribute your ideas — it push us to innovate, problem solve, and understand your needs.
    Thank you for helping us improve Skype.
    - Petr

18. Return SMS syncing/sending.

And make it work more reliably while you're at it.

Skype is of zero value to me without this. I only know one other person who uses Skype for other than SMS.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Working on it  ·  Erin at Skype responded

SMS via Skype is one of the areas we’re working on improving.

We’ve recently launched SMS Connect to Insiders which enables you to connect your Skype desktop client to your Android phone so that you can send and receive SMS from your phone on your Desktop.

More info here – https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_insiderms-skype_insnewsms/skype-insider-preview-8307641-read-respond-to-your/896846ad-9701-4f1d-9dee-640d95442b8e

Skype also has the ability to send SMS messages to contacts if you have Skype credits.

Please let us know if there’s additional functionality you’re looking for in this area. Otherwise, stay tuned for SMS Connect arriving in the Release builds soon.

19. Abandon the Swiss Design philosophy that was introduced in Windows 8

The industry trend of re-working applications using design philosophies meant for mobile devices has been a gigantic mistake that has completely ruined the desktop experience.

Skype is merely the latest casualty to this trend of so called 'modern' mobile-centric design.

Applications created with this philosophy removes features, reduces productivity, and introduces interfaces using flat design and minimalist concepts that are difficult to understand and annoying to work with.

If we've learned anything in the 6 years since the release of Windows 8 is that Desktop users want a Desktop experience. Metro and the design philosophies behind it have driven the…

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Navigate history by time period (previous month, etc)

We should be able to go to a previous date, or at least rough time period, fairly easily. This isn't even very good on Skype 7, but at least it makes an attempt.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base