Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add cryptocurrency micropayments to Skype (XRP and others)

Dear Skype, The age of MicroPayments has come and we need your support. The era of Internet of Value is kocniking at the door. My idea is to implement micropayments in Skype. Allow us to buy SkypeCredits with XRpTipBot , allow us to send micro payments on Skype chat as well.
    Please have a look at http://xrptipbot.com/ and its open API https://www.xrptipbot.com/app/api-spec which is pretty easy to implement.
    XRPtipBot is now available in 40+ languages. It's available for Twitter / Reddit / Discord / Telegram and recently has been added to Microsoft Outlook please visit http://moneymessage.radynamics.com/moneymessage_www/
    What's more it has…

2,309 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

251 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi. Thanks for sharing this Idea! Cryptocurrency micropayments sounds really cool right :) Like any other leading technology company Microsoft is already testing blockchain.
    Although I don’t have any information about cryptocurrency adoption for Skype or any other MS product, please keep continue supporting this Idea. I will share it with our teams :)
    Note: I’ve edited the title of this Idea little bit so it fits to cryptocurrencies generally ;)

- Petr

2. Retain all chat history locally (regardless of the cloud), like Skype 7

Skype 8 should retain chat history locally in ADDITION to the cloud, which stores only 2 years of it. It not doing this now means that eventually older history will "scroll off" the cloud, gone forever. All history should (optionally) be stored locally, like in earlier versions of Skype.

And merely letting us export (which Skype 8 also doesn't do for its OWN history, as opposed to Skype 7's history) isn't a sufficient solution, since having a bunch of export files around is hardly an efficient way to find an old message.

613 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

93 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    We hear you  ·  Erin at Skype responded

We hear your feedback and are looking into options to make sure you can more easily access your history in Skype.

In the mean time you can use Export Chat History in settings to export your Skype 7 conversations on your computer. From there you can open the conversations in a browser and search using the browser search command.

3. 595 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been listening to your feedback. In 8.33+ you can see all the results found for your message search. No more 20 limit.

We’re still working on a solution for the 6 months limitation. I’ll post an update when it’s available.
    - Petr

4. support copy/paste of ANY media type

It should be possible to copy/paste any media type to or from Skype.

Skype should provide all possible clipboard formats for data copied from Skype. Ex, If I copy a jpg photo someone sent me, it should be provided to the clipboard in all possible image formats (dib, wmf, gif, png, jpg, tiff, bmp, ...) and if the image contain text, then the output of an OCR of the image should be there as well. The original type is the default.

When copying data to Skype, a best effort should be made to get that data into the message. As…

247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all who voted for this suggestion! We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to meet your needs and really appreciate your support and patience. I’ll let you know if anything changes.
    - Petr

5. Make Skype a full sms app that can replace or work along side a stock messaging app like WhatsApp does

Skype could be the best sms app but you need to allow it to especially work on phones and connect to a desktop PC via some web link. Google messenger and whatsapp both have this option why can't Microsoft allow this. Use Microsoft authenticator easy way better than a quarter code.
    Skype has the potential but is slipping behind all the other apps because of the lack of this feature

205 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. BRING BACK SPELL CHECK + add translator and a grammar option

- Please bring back spell check but also option to turn it off
    - add a grammar option or even a option to turn it off and on !!
    - improve auto correct

192 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow to select more than single message

In Skype 7 I was able to select multiple lines of conversation, copy them and paste. In current Skype 12.1815 I can only select single message. This limitation is annoying and unbelivable...

153 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We’re still working on enabling this capability. In the meantime you can right click on a message, click the “Select message” option and pick different messages to copy or forward.
    Thank you for your patience.
    - Petr

8. Group Moderation. Remove Message. Banlist. Mute Member or Group. Roles. Chat Commands.

Group Moderation. Remove Message. Banlist. Mute Member or Group.
    Its very important for Skype Safety to be able to make a Skype room group Moderated (seems this should be by default). Allow room creator or admin to remove inappropriate messages/links/files/pics of group members. Admin/Creator should be able to create a Banlist so the wrong people (abusers) can not join or be added by members, despite if Joining/link to join is enabled or not. Admin needs to be able to add other admins though Creator role would be better. I have recently been asked about muting an individual in a group,…

141 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow me to save a whole conversation as a text file

Allow me to save a whole conversation (all history) as a text file on my local computer

126 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow to adjust the size of the chat window

Let us adjust the size of the chat window.

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Saving All Chat History From Beginning To Now *&* Moving Forward, W/ The Ability To View Chat History Like Before.

It is very important for many of us to be able to continue to have our chat history on Skype from the beginning to now and moving forward.. Along with the option to view history, like we did on Skype V7, by going to "Conversation" and "View History". This would allow us to go back where we needed, without going at a snail's pace. Whether that be going to the very beginning, a year, or a month. This was very efficient and helpful. Thank you.

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A movable border between typing area and past messages

The divider should allow being moved and remember its position. Again, like in Skype 7.

Often I want a larger typing area than one line at the start (rather than waiting), and it's tedious resizing it with a bunch of Ctrl-Enters. Even then you're limited.

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Return SMS syncing/sending.

And make it work more reliably while you're at it.

Skype is of zero value to me without this. I only know one other person who uses Skype for other than SMS.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Working on it  ·  Erin at Skype responded

SMS via Skype is one of the areas we’re working on improving.

We’ve recently launched SMS Connect to Insiders which enables you to connect your Skype desktop client to your Android phone so that you can send and receive SMS from your phone on your Desktop.

More info here – https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_insiderms-skype_insnewsms/skype-insider-preview-8307641-read-respond-to-your/896846ad-9701-4f1d-9dee-640d95442b8e

Skype also has the ability to send SMS messages to contacts if you have Skype credits.

Please let us know if there’s additional functionality you’re looking for in this area. Otherwise, stay tuned for SMS Connect arriving in the Release builds soon.

15. Please organize "copy and paste" the way it was organized on V7.

Please organize "copy and paste" the way it was organized on V7. For example:

[9/11/2018 10:07:09 PM] Amanda Harris: As you can see. I have my hands full at the moment.
    [9/11/2018 10:07:29 PM] Dom Dzake: ok no problem

How it is "organized" on V8:

I'll keep you posted.

7:52 PM
    Ok

Amanda, 9:39 PM
    Almost finished.

Phew!

I think everyone can see the difference. It's hard to follow, whereas in Classic, it was organized perfectly, with the time *AND* the date, along with the person's full name.! On V12, you can't even copy a thread of conversations at all.…

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Navigate history by time period (previous month, etc)

We should be able to go to a previous date, or at least rough time period, fairly easily. This isn't even very good on Skype 7, but at least it makes an attempt.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bring back the jump history/copy paste

Please bring back the old feature wherein we can easily jump back in previous conversations in a matter of just clicking. Also, copy & paste of conversations before looked way better and convenient than the current.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please bring back the option to disable typing indicator

We should be able to turn off whether or not another user can see when we are typing an IM

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Rethink message status feedback: message delivered time, messaged viewed time, contact last seen/online time

People need to know the status of their messages. Is it sent so that I may go offline? Is it delivered so that the recipient may see it? When did they see it? When were they last online, so that I may (not) already have a response? -- People communicate via TCP, not UDP. ;)

And of course, we're all having very different people in our lives which needs to be adressed: What information I share with whom should be configurable by contact or group and a general setting, and be immediately visible in a conversation. Perhaps mutual configuration settings…

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. send contact

Ability to send a own contact to another contact. As a user of skype I would like to send one of my contacts to another person so he/she can add the same contact pretty fast. Searching for contacts within the Skype search is pain in the ass. So this would significantly increase productivity.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 41 42
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base