Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add cryptocurrency micropayments to Skype (XRP and others)

Dear Skype, The age of MicroPayments has come and we need your support. The era of Internet of Value is kocniking at the door. My idea is to implement micropayments in Skype. Allow us to buy SkypeCredits with XRpTipBot , allow us to send micro payments on Skype chat as well.
    Please have a look at http://xrptipbot.com/ and its open API https://www.xrptipbot.com/app/api-spec which is pretty easy to implement.
    XRPtipBot is now available in 40+ languages. It's available for Twitter / Reddit / Discord / Telegram and recently has been added to Microsoft Outlook please visit http://moneymessage.radynamics.com/moneymessage_www/
    What's more it has…

2,315 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

350 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi. Thanks for sharing this Idea! Cryptocurrency micropayments sounds really cool right :) Like any other leading technology company Microsoft is already testing blockchain.
    Although I don’t have any information about cryptocurrency adoption for Skype or any other MS product, please keep continue supporting this Idea. I will share it with our teams :)
    Note: I’ve edited the title of this Idea little bit so it fits to cryptocurrencies generally ;)

- Petr

2. Retain all chat history locally (regardless of the cloud), like Skype 7

Skype 8 should retain chat history locally in ADDITION to the cloud, which stores only 2 years of it. It not doing this now means that eventually older history will "scroll off" the cloud, gone forever. All history should (optionally) be stored locally, like in earlier versions of Skype.

And merely letting us export (which Skype 8 also doesn't do for its OWN history, as opposed to Skype 7's history) isn't a sufficient solution, since having a bunch of export files around is hardly an efficient way to find an old message.

637 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

98 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    We hear you  ·  Erin at Skype responded

We hear your feedback and are looking into options to make sure you can more easily access your history in Skype.

In the mean time you can use Export Chat History in settings to export your Skype 7 conversations on your computer. From there you can open the conversations in a browser and search using the browser search command.

3. support copy/paste of ANY media type

It should be possible to copy/paste any media type to or from Skype.

Skype should provide all possible clipboard formats for data copied from Skype. Ex, If I copy a jpg photo someone sent me, it should be provided to the clipboard in all possible image formats (dib, wmf, gif, png, jpg, tiff, bmp, ...) and if the image contain text, then the output of an OCR of the image should be there as well. The original type is the default.

When copying data to Skype, a best effort should be made to get that data into the message. As…

258 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all who voted for this suggestion! We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to meet your needs and really appreciate your support and patience. I’ll let you know if anything changes.
    - Petr

4. A movable border between typing area and past messages

The divider should allow being moved and remember its position. Again, like in Skype 7.

Often I want a larger typing area than one line at the start (rather than waiting), and it's tedious resizing it with a bunch of Ctrl-Enters. Even then you're limited.

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I'm really ****** off! I had over 10 years of chat history, after you forced me to update to that **** of 8, the chat became limited to the

I'm really off! I had over 10 years of chat history, after you forced me to update to that of 8, the chat became limited to the last year! *******!

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Downloading files shouldn't overwrite existing ones

Skype is overwriting existing files when the name matches instead of creating a new one with another name. If I want to access to the old file I have to delete it and download it again (if it stills available).

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, thank you for the feedback. I’m sorry if some of your files were overwritten. I will share your feedback with Product Team. Meanwhile you can go to Settings – Messaging and set Auto-download to off to make sure it won’t happen again.

- Petr

7. confused emoji

Confused Emoji - emoji with question marks orbiting around the face

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!