Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2,039 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

421 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. We love Skype version 7 too. We’re working to build the Skype experience you’ve come to depend on for so long on today’s platforms for today’s user. It would be impossible to bring back the full catalog of features available in previous versions of Skype all at once, our engineering systems just don’t work that way. We are committed to evolving the current Skype experience to match your needs over time. As we release new Skype features, we’ll update this site. You can also follow @Skype and @SkypeInsider on Twitter for the latest news too.
    Thank you all for your feedback.

2. Stop forcing the update and keep Skype 7 alive!

Skype 7 works fine for me and all my needs. The new update does not function for me on my desktop. It works like an annoying app. I hate it. Most people do. Stop forcing everyone to update and allow us to use the old version if we want to.

1,475 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

460 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize moving away from older versions of Skype is an inconvenience and we’re sorry for that. We wouldn’t be moving everyone forward if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. Watch this site for news about features we’re adding to the current version of Skype and reach out to @SkypeSupport on Twitter if you need help getting settled in the new app.

Thanks all for all the comments and votes around this topic.

3. 648 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

192 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for sharing your ideas! We have a lot of great feedback from you and we really appreciate it! We love the passion!
    We used to categorize your submissions with lists of multiple requests, however we’re overwhelmed now. Going forward we will only accept submissions with single requests. It will help us to better prioritize which features we will work on next and understand what is most important for you.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!

- Petr

4. Improve performance - Skype should have a minimal memory and cpu footprint

Most of the time Skype is running in the background as non-active application. When it does and is idle (not processing user input), it should consume zero cpu and have a minimal footprint.

Skype need to be able to keep the most essential parts from getting swapped out to ensure a snappy, fast and lag-free response when a a call or message is received, or when the user wants to interact with the Skype application.

When Skype is active it still need to use minimal cpu and memory, so to not interfere with other activities the user is doing while…

534 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality of Skype. Please feel free to report any crashes or performance issues on answers.microsoft.com including steps that lead to a crash so that the community can help troubleshoot the issue.
    - Petr

5. Bring back the search functionality as it was in previous classic version + add/improve other search features

Bring back the Search functionality. (as it was in previous classic version)

Currently the searching functionality is not up to the mark. As in earlier skype versions a user can search anything in a particular chat, but currently it seems very distracting as it search the whole skype history and user can not find the exact results for which he/she is searching.

412 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 404 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please bring back Skype Classic

Please give us back Skype like it used to function.
    Skype 8 is a vastly inferior application. It is greatly lacking in functionality, it is less user friendly, and it doesn't even function well.
    I honestly don't care if you, the developers, are extremely proud of the new user interface, or if you feel that "unifying" the tablet, phone and desktop experience is a good idea. It simply isn't. Skype 8 is worse than Skype 7 ("Classic") in every way. So please just graciously accept your mistake, and allow those of us who want, revert to Skype Classic, and let's…

312 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make an option to turn on/off Skype from opening when windows starts on windows 10.

I can't find the option to do this on my version of Skype, I'd really appreciate the ability to do this.

180 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. If you want to stop Skype from starting automatically just go to the Settings – General – and toggle Automatically start Skype to Off.

The option to stop Skype from automatically starting is not available in Skype for Windows 10 (version 14). To stop Skype from automatically starting, just sign out of the app.

Hope it helps :)

- Petr

9. Make skype compatible with ios 9

My grandmother has an old Ipad 3 with ios 9.3.5 installed on it. She used to use this app a lot to call our relatives. Now it isn't woking because it wants ios 10 installed witch cant be installed on old devices. Please, give users possibility to download an older version. We need skype for ipad on ios 9.3.5

165 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Skype should be a native application on each platform

Skype is, still, used by a huge amount of users so it deserves a real native version for each device/platform.

A native application is also the only want to keep Skype small, fast and lag free on the less powerful devices.

A native application is also needed to take full advantage of each platform, and to make sure look like a iPhone app on iPhone and as an Android app on Android.

Skype is a communication system that need to integrate very closely with the device and operating system where it is installed. Skype should behave as the built in…

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We work to make Skype work seamlessly on each of the platforms where it’s available. Please do share specific feedback on integration we may not have nailed yet. It push us to innovate, problem solve, and really understand your needs. We love this kind of feedback!
    - Petr

11. The ability to actually close the program.

You know, like every other program in existence. What a novel effing idea that would be!

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Customization for hotkeys and shortcuts

Once again, like in Skype 7, which can both change global hotkeys and local shortcuts.

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Global hotkeys are now available in Skype for Windows 10 Insiders build! We are also working on a shortcut for answering a call. It should be available soon. Check it out and let me know how it works for you. I will keep you posted.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/skype-preview-global-hotkeys-are-now-available-in/67ed5805-4cfe-409f-8dab-c9d14467d097

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-keyboard-shortcuts-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype

- Petr

13. Bring Back Compact View as it was in Skype 7

Bring Back Compact View.......I will re using the old version until you do

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to hide profile pictures in Contact / Chats / Calls list

In Skype 7 it was possible to hide the profile pictures in the Contacts list etc. The profile pictures only take away space in my opinion. On a full screen it was possible to see almost twice as many contacts in the list without the profile pictures in Skype 7, as now in Skype 8. Additionally most contacts use nonsense pictures that are not easy to the eye. So please make it possible to disable the profile pictures again.

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to best meet your needs. Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and understand your needs.
    Thank you for helping us improve Skype.
    - Petr

15. Cortana integration

Cortana should be opt-in only and the option to remove or opt-out available.

It's that simple.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add skype to the programs list so I can uninstall it

i don't want skype, you should let me uninstall it

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Do not default back to active status whenever logging in or using Skype. Allow the default to be invisible, until changed otherwise by user.

Do not default back to active status whenever logging in or using Skype. Allow the default to be invisible, until changed otherwise by user.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Compact contact list / home window

I would like to have a * compact * contact list as * own * window on my right screen edge.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Skype should work without a mouse or anyother form of a pointing device

There should be no need for any for of a pointing device to use all aspects of Skype.

Skype should fully support and follow the standard way key input is used in Windows.

Skype should only use standard Windows control to make sure key input work consistently with other native Windows applications like notepad.exe and regedit.exe

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Moderation for group chats

Admins have the capability to mute/unmute and add/remove within a call, the ability to remove messages within a chat. Within a group chat admins could have the ability to ban participants.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base