Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back the search functionality as it was in previous classic version + add/improve other search features

Bring back the Search functionality. (as it was in previous classic version)

Currently the searching functionality is not up to the mark. As in earlier skype versions a user can search anything in a particular chat, but currently it seems very distracting as it search the whole skype history and user can not find the exact results for which he/she is searching.

413 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

60 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Determine your own Ringtone and adjust the Volume settings manually

There are two things that Skype really needs to change to the new Skype

1. That youre customers who use skype world wide

get an option where they themselves can adjust the incoming ringtone sound by means of a volume control how loud or soft they want it ...

1. that your customers worldwide can choose their own ringtone and choose to apply

With all due respect this is starting to become a very irritating problem worldwide

I myself, like many others around the world, now start using discord

The reason why people around the world ask this is Because sometimes with…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove the permission to kick each others without control

Make possible to remove the permission to other group members to mute or kick each others out of the chat unless you are an admin, like for exemple if you are a teacher in chat with your student and want to avoid them to kick everyone out

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Unlinking Skype from Microsoft or but transferring to another Microsoft account

Is it technically impossible to unlink Skype account form Microsoft account, or ist it just an unwillingess of Microsft to do that. Many of us have the same issue and my opinion is that Microsoft is dooing nothing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stop making people sad on skype 8. please bring Skype 7 back.

Petr, today i have got a serious issue. Many people on Skype 8 are sad because
    you removed the sounds, features they loved, The logo they preferred, the style, the rainbows that were there, sounds, and many more. Petr, i kindly ask you to stop and revert back to skype version 7.7 back or maybe 7.16 if possible. because many ppl prefered that version. i know microsoft can make it better.
    Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. editing skype name and unlink with microsoft and delete old skype account

skype must give and option to edit skype name any time and change it because its not easy to creat a new account and delete the old one. So now Name editing authority must be authorized to the customer.

and unlink skype account with microsoft account option must be given to old skype accounts that they could delete old skype account and able to use a new with orignal emial account

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 606 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been listening to your feedback. In 8.33+ you can see all the results found for your message search. No more 20 limit.

We’re still working on a solution for the 6 months limitation. I’ll post an update when it’s available.
    - Petr

8. Skype Subscription plans

Many of us use skype to communicate with our families across the globe. Now, more than ever before, we need more support to communicate and connect to our loved ones. I specifically require unlimited minutes to speak to my mother in a foreign country.

I have seen a post requesting unlimited subscription minutes and this would be THE most compassionate position for skype to embody.

However if that is not guaranteed, perhaps we can get unlimited calls to 4-5 numbers globally so we can connect with our immediate loved ones and family members?

We need this soon please!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Paid products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve performance - Skype should have a minimal memory and cpu footprint

Most of the time Skype is running in the background as non-active application. When it does and is idle (not processing user input), it should consume zero cpu and have a minimal footprint.

Skype need to be able to keep the most essential parts from getting swapped out to ensure a snappy, fast and lag-free response when a a call or message is received, or when the user wants to interact with the Skype application.

When Skype is active it still need to use minimal cpu and memory, so to not interfere with other activities the user is doing while…

540 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

90 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality of Skype. Please feel free to report any crashes or performance issues on answers.microsoft.com including steps that lead to a crash so that the community can help troubleshoot the issue.
    - Petr

10. Urgent CORVID-2019 issue: For medical HIPAA privacy, add a setting to prevent contacts from seeing mutual contacts.

Urgent CORVID-2019 issue: For medical HIPAA privacy, add a setting to prevent contacts from seeing mutual contacts.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bulk Delete of chat history. Auto delete by date

Bulk Delete of chat history. Auto delete by date

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Update the back end of Skype 7 to make it compatible with Skype 8.

One of the justifications offered for forcing the update from Skype 7 to Skype 8 is that Skype 7 is less secure and is not compliant with the GDPR data handling regulations.

Neither of these things affects the user interface in any way whatsoever.

The server infrastructure for Skype 8 has been updated to cope with these new requirements.

The "back end" of the Skype client, which handles message storage and transmission, has been updated in Skype 8, but Skype 8 is still sorely lacking in basic UI functionality.

The Skype 7 back end should be updated to use the…

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable change of user name / ID

Please update your service to allow users to make updates to their user name (not just their display name).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Deleting all the chats at once

Hi Team,

I request you to please add the most celebrated missing feature "Select All" & "Delete" chats option on the Skype Application.

By adding this feature it will save our time of selecting each chat and then delete

Hope you understand and implement this feature so that it can be more user friendly for us to use your application.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Requesting the ability to change Skype usernames and the ability to unlink accounts without affecting current Microsoft accounts connected

Usernames should not cause confusion for utilizing either Skype or Microsoft accounts. Please make it possible to change the Skype Username to the email associated with the Microsoft account. This would be for a select number of cases where the username NEEDS to be changed as a result of the Skype and Microsoft merger. In the future it would be great if there was the ability to change Skype usernames and the ability to unlink accounts without affecting the current Microsoft accounts connected to it.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Travel rewards for Skype during Coronavirus

In light of the Coronavirus, many of my face to face business trips have been cancelled, and rescheduled as a Skype meeting instead. I was thinking of all the people who typically DON’T use Skype, and thinking a good promotion for you would be to somehow partner with the airlines to find a way to still honor travel reward points for rescheduled Skype meetings. I feel that frequent travelers would be happy to still earn their rewards and somehow this could promote Skype, and set a good reputation for being proactive and helpful during these unprecedented times.

I’m not sure…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Skype name (id)

Please make it possible to cange Skype name(id) whereare in 2020 a lot of people get marriage or divorce and it’s not doing good for them to Still with the older name

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Profile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Skype Live id change

There is no one option to change Skype live Id.

Request Skype team Please update.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Merging old Skype account (user name) with/into Microsoft accounts (email address).

I have a Skype account that I created before Microsoft acquired Skype. The account is 'based' on a user name. I recently created a Microsoft account with my email address. Same email address as is in my account settings for the old Skype account. However, Microsoft automatically created a new Skype account for me. Why couldn't I just migrate my existing old Skype account to Microsoft and sync them all up?

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base