Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Systemic Racism in Skype for Business

I am distressed that all of the person/hand emojis in Skype for Business are specifically white-skinned. Lack of representation of BIPOC is one of the small but insidious ways that we continue to enforce white supremacy, and I want to see it changed.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. remove from call

At the moment we have to do schooling via skype. (BTW thanks for opportunity!) But it happend that someone of our pupils removes other participants from the call. Is there any option to cancel this option for all the participants? Maybe it could do the admin only? And the same for "Mute someone"
    That would be very helpful dor us now. Thanks

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please allow me to change my Skype username

Allow us to change our Skype username without having to delete our Microsoft account. I'm a transgender man and my Skype username is still my female birth name, I hate it, want it gone, but unless I'm willing to delete my whole Microsoft account then I'm not able to, please fix this for all LGBTQ+ Community members

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please bring back Skype Classic

Please give us back Skype like it used to function.
    Skype 8 is a vastly inferior application. It is greatly lacking in functionality, it is less user friendly, and it doesn't even function well.
    I honestly don't care if you, the developers, are extremely proud of the new user interface, or if you feel that "unifying" the tablet, phone and desktop experience is a good idea. It simply isn't. Skype 8 is worse than Skype 7 ("Classic") in every way. So please just graciously accept your mistake, and allow those of us who want, revert to Skype Classic, and let's…

328 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Virtual Backgrounds like Zoom AND Picture In Picture for showing things without leaving the screen!

Virtual Backgrounds like Zoom AND Picture In Picture for showing things without leaving the screen!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Submit idea

Dear Sir/Madam,

It is my pleasure to say that I am proudly using "skype.com/en/free-conference-call" to take online lecture/group discussion for my students during the pandemic infection by Novel Corona Virus. It was excellent experience with Skype, however, I am facing one problem.

Many times during the online lecture/group discussion, one notorious student removed me during the conversation/online lecture.

Therefore, I request you to kindly give an option for meeting organizer to add or remove any participant during the meeting.

Regards

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Annoying "Give me a call when you're back" message

Please, provide a way to completely disable "Give me a call when you're back" message when someone doesn't answer my call? I don't want to send this message. I understand this suggestion when it appears within a popup when the call ended (failed), but when I close this popup I really don't want this draft message to be sent. Instead I see this text in the message input field. I think it's bad for UX. It's simply annoying.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Prevent users from removing members of a group conversation in Skype

Here inSpain, due to the current Covid-19 emergency, many schools started to use Skype for lessons, at least temporarily while evaluating specific software solutions.

The problem is that students already familiar with Skype are having fun removing the other students from the call. In some cases, they are even removing the teacher.

Would it be possible NOT to allow a User to remove another User/the Admin from a group chat and leave this option only to the Admin?

Thank you!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Change the background in video call like Microsoft Teams

Allow to Select “Show background effects.” during video calls

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Power for admin

My idea is that in skype admin has no extra power and can be removed in group video calls as normal participants can be removed so to make the admin protected from this issue you can block the participants from muting or removing the admin and if anyone removed any other than the name would be showed to the admin

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make skype compatible with ios 9

My grandmother has an old Ipad 3 with ios 9.3.5 installed on it. She used to use this app a lot to call our relatives. Now it isn't woking because it wants ios 10 installed witch cant be installed on old devices. Please, give users possibility to download an older version. We need skype for ipad on ios 9.3.5

211 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

103 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Limit rights of group chat participants

When using group chat, now there is no way to limit the rights of participants in the conference, which poses certain difficulties. For example, each participant can turn off the microphone of one or more chat participants. You must enable the creator of the group chat to restrict the rights of participants.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hey! Can there be more than 50 participants in meet now call, so that Universities or Colleges will be able to Use Skype for online classes

Skype would be a great option for colleges, infact it's used in few Universities and colleges, due to pandemic, schools and colleges were shut down, so it would be great if the video calling participants limit is raised from 50 to more participants so that Skype will be very useful for most of the educational institutions, as skype is best platform and secured, I urge to increase the number of participants per call!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. display the name of person who muted or removed you from group calls

As the corona virus situation we are having online classes. But someone is removing and muting other participants in the chat while they are telling answers it would be great if the name of the person who muted or removed you from the call would be visible.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Remove "remove from call" feature

1)Remove this feature "REMOVE FROM CALL" which enables anyone to remove literally anyone on the call. It's a fun to do but it someone messed up my important presentation by muting me or removing me from the call.
    2)There is an another way, instead removing this feature so called "REMOVE FROM CALL" give the authority to THE HOST ONLY to remove from a call.
    THIS IS SOME SERIOUS SHIT DO SOMETHING!!!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change Skype name

I'm using Skype for many years and I've many contacts but my Skype name is not good to me, need to change it. This is basic and should be part of user interface feature

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Full Participant Gallery View

I would love to see a gallery view similar to other video conferencing platforms. A view where all of the participants in the call can be seen simultaneously. Though I understand that there may be legitimate reasons to keep the image larger and limit the number who are visible, the current version with 4 participants and the ribbon up top is useless for a large group discussion. Thank you!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option to change the ringtone to custom

You should be able to have your own custom ringtone on which you could download, and skype should have some of their own ringtones too

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make an option to turn on/off Skype from opening when windows starts on windows 10.

I can't find the option to do this on my version of Skype, I'd really appreciate the ability to do this.

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. If you want to stop Skype from starting automatically just go to the Settings – General – and toggle Automatically start Skype to Off.

The option to stop Skype from automatically starting is not available in Skype for Windows 10 (version 14). To stop Skype from automatically starting, just sign out of the app.

Hope it helps :)

- Petr

• Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base