Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The ability to actually close the program.

You know, like every other program in existence. What a novel effing idea that would be!

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

44 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Chat History

May Skype please make chat history available, beginning with the year of 2013 to 2019.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. It is an ID that starts with this: live:.cid. What is this ID? What is this account? It is so difficult to use. Why do we use Skype for the

It is an ID that starts with this: live:.cid. What is this ID? What is this account? It is so difficult to use. Why do we use Skype for the convenience of work? Why do you change them into inconvenient skype? Why?
    The previous registration rules have been used for many years. Why can you even modify the registration rules?
    why is your company's smarter team making such a decision, so it is very unwise for a big company, billions of people around the world use skype, you are free to change to unwise and unwise The decision of the…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Unlink skype/microsoft account

Dear Microsoft, Are you really that stupid that you have to force people to link their skype to their Microsoft accounts. Things were fine before you did that!. Please allow us to unlink the accounts. You're ruining peoples lives. A lot of people are very upset with you about this issue and it needs to be taken care of as a priority. No more stupid updates you broke what wasn't broken and that was the unlink feature. Taking it away was a dumb move on your part. Bring it back or we will revolt against Microsoft or you'll lose millions…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 604 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been listening to your feedback. In 8.33+ you can see all the results found for your message search. No more 20 limit.

We’re still working on a solution for the 6 months limitation. I’ll post an update when it’s available.
    - Petr

6. Improve performance - Skype should have a minimal memory and cpu footprint

Most of the time Skype is running in the background as non-active application. When it does and is idle (not processing user input), it should consume zero cpu and have a minimal footprint.

Skype need to be able to keep the most essential parts from getting swapped out to ensure a snappy, fast and lag-free response when a a call or message is received, or when the user wants to interact with the Skype application.

When Skype is active it still need to use minimal cpu and memory, so to not interfere with other activities the user is doing while…

534 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for the feedback. We are continuously working to improve the quality of Skype. Please feel free to report any crashes or performance issues on answers.microsoft.com including steps that lead to a crash so that the community can help troubleshoot the issue.
    - Petr

7. Update the back end of Skype 7 to make it compatible with Skype 8.

One of the justifications offered for forcing the update from Skype 7 to Skype 8 is that Skype 7 is less secure and is not compliant with the GDPR data handling regulations.

Neither of these things affects the user interface in any way whatsoever.

The server infrastructure for Skype 8 has been updated to cope with these new requirements.

The "back end" of the Skype client, which handles message storage and transmission, has been updated in Skype 8, but Skype 8 is still sorely lacking in basic UI functionality.

The Skype 7 back end should be updated to use the…

154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Skype Name Issue kindly fix random skype name issue.

We want our desire Skype name. Like choosing Skype name option or edit Skype name. Which option Skype provide before. Thanks :)

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. lion emoji

create lion emoji

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Skype Name Change

I have created a skype account a very long time ago and i used an informal skype name that i right now don't like, i would suggest there should be added such an option for changing the skype name. i feel uncomfortable using that skype name in my resume and cv, kindly add such feature so that one like me can change the skype name. Thankyou

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Profile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. FOR SKYPE GROUPS LET ADMIN CONTROL WHO CAN BE REMOVED FROM THE GROUP

I TEACH ONLINE AND HAVE LOTS OF SCHOOL STUDENTS IN VARIOUS GROUPS OVER THE WEEK. BOYS PLAY THE FOOL SOMETIMES AND REMOVE THEIR CLASSMATES DURING THE COURSE OF THE CLASS, WHICH DISRUPTS THE CLASS NO END. They also mute my microphone at times. If I can have a feature which allows me control over my group, it will be fantastic. I have been covered on the skype blog too and have doubled my students since then.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Unlink Microsoft Account from Skype account

When I got my laptop and signed in with my Microsoft Account for the first time, Microsoft decided to automatically create a Skype account which I didn't want and I can't delete it without deleting my Microsoft Account. And I can't unlink my Skype Account.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Username change

It should really be possible to change the username, that is shown during a conversation. Thank you!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Requesting the ability to change Skype usernames and the ability to unlink accounts without affecting current Microsoft accounts connected

Usernames should not cause confusion for utilizing either Skype or Microsoft accounts. Please make it possible to change the Skype Username to the email associated with the Microsoft account. This would be for a select number of cases where the username NEEDS to be changed as a result of the Skype and Microsoft merger. In the future it would be great if there was the ability to change Skype usernames and the ability to unlink accounts without affecting the current Microsoft accounts connected to it.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. enable" delete chat history"

enable" delete chat history"

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. change skype username

Ability to change username

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change Skype Name and Delete Account without Deleting Microsoft Account

My account was hacked a couple of years ago and someone set my 'Skype Name' as their own name. We should be allowed to change this.

I have this hacked account and two other accounts attached to my Microsoft account, now I can't delete them without deleting my entire e-mail account. I didn't consent to this link. We should be able to delete Skype accounts without deleting Microsoft ones!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Kosovo flag

Since Republic of Kosovo is an independent country since 2008 and it is recognized widely by most powerful countries. I think Skype should add the Kosovo flag in chat (flag:ks) or (flag:rks), since every other independent country has its own flag there. This will be well appreciated from all Skype users in Kosovo, where so many of them use Skype in daily basis. So, I hope in your understanding and see the flag of Republic of Kosovo soon in the Skype chat.
    Thank you in advance.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Skype Username

Remove the CID silly username. NOT professional. I will be forced to use another service
    Bring back usernames.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Profile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Status

I try to keep my status on invisible, but Skype resets me all the time to "available" That sort of defeats the purpose of asking if I want to remain invisible.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base