Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reply to a message in desktop notification itself without switching windows

reply to a message in the desktop notification itself but the reply won't open the app in background . So that we could continue what we are working on and still reply to our messages . Hassle Free Replying ....

Right now if we click on Skype notification it will open the app , app will update conversations (loading..) the we reply ... and in between task windows needs to switched

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Settings memory function issue

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I have a new issue since the last application update. When relogin (log out -> remember you account creds -> No -> log out) Skype PC version does not save any settings/notification updates.
    It was all fine up until the latest application software update.
    Would you please help restore the settings memory function.
    Kind regards,
    Daria

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I need the ability to receive notifications based off keywords in group chats. This was a feature in the previous version of desktop skype.

I need the ability to receive notifications based off keywords in group chats. This was a feature in the previous versions 7 of desktop skype. It seems to have been left out or not implemented yet on the new version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Notification when SMS is received on Skype Number

I have recently purchased a US Skype Number. When I got the call then my phone rang loud and clear but when I received a SMS then I didn't get any notification neither I found it in Notification settings on my One Plus 6T Android Phone. Please let me know if this is already present or add this feature in next update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Limit number of simultaneous notification-windows to 1 (instead of the current 3)

Currently constant messages can fill up large area of the screen while being stacked. I suggest adding option to limit it to single one (which may increase in contents with the following notifications).
    For an example and further improvements for UI, please refer to the now obsolete "Skype classic".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Automatically Open new Chat window

I would like an option so that when I receive new messages from one of my Contacts that the window just opens up (This used to be the case...)

Currently the only "obvious" notification is the POPUP that usually times out if I am either away or another window is in focus (Like a full-screened Remote Desktop)… I keep missing new messages unless I keep their Chat windows open all the time...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. smaller notification box

Old SKype 7.0 and previous had small notification pop ups in the lower right hand side. Usually just the name and number of messages. SKype 8.0 + the notifications are far too big and stay around too long.

I think the ability to change to small quick notifications-just notifying I rexieved a message and part of the name, but in a very small window (not much bigger than the date/time area of the taskbar) would be good.
    Too often the pop up will stick around too long-or they're messaging al ot, and that whole section of my screen is unusable…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. notifications

Please incorporate a notification block option when sharing your screen so those viewing your screen do not see popup messages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for your feedback. While sharing your screen you can change your presence status to Do Not Disturb so you won’t be alerted of any incoming message/call. To receive notifications when your presence is set to Do Not Disturb, scroll down to Notifications, and then to Do Not Disturb to toggle Show chat notifications on or off.

Let me know if it helps :)

- Petr

11. Skype 8 doesn't persistently notify you of new messages

If I send a message to a Skype 8 user on Win10, and that user happens to miss the 5-second notification, there will be no outward way to know that there's a new message. The user will have to check by clicking into the tray icon or the pinned taskbar icon (if there is one).

What should happen: both the tray icon and the taskbar icon should obviously change look to signify that a new message is waiting. And the notification center should increment its number.

The only way that you can get any persistent notification now is if you…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Not notified of messages sent to me if I happen to be offline when they're sent

1) User A sends a message to User B, who is offline.
    2) User B later gets online.
    3) User B receives no outward notification (taskbar/tray icons, notification) that there's a new message.

This is very unfortunate, since it easily leads to unnoticed messages. Until or unless User B happens to actively click into Skype to notice the message, they will not know of it.

Is this an unimplemented feature? A bug? Valid through 8.42 of both Skype 8 and Skype for Win10.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Incoming calls should not stop you from what you are doing

When I receive a call on Skype for Android - the app just shows over everything and disturb whatever it is I am doing, whether or not I even want to accept the call. Most messaging apps, just like a regular call, show a small bar in the notification area for me to accept or decline the call whenever I am doing something on the phone. This should be a part of Skype.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When your @name is mentioned in a message, it should under the Notifications like a message reaction does

When your @name is mentioned in a message, it should under the Notifications like a message reaction does. This would help to alert you to the messages that require your attention.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mute / Ignore messages

Can you add Mute / ignore option that would literally ignore all messages in specific group chat?
    When you have lots of group chats, it's annoying that you mute a chat but those group chats still go on top and all messages are marked as unread.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Notification Sounds When Skype Has Been Closed (But Not Exited/Logged Out).

I use Skype for work and my taskbar can get quite cluttered so I like to close unused programs. We should be able to close Skype (not minimize!) and still be able to receive notifications/messages even though it's not open. Basically running in the background. So far, I can't do this but it would be amazingly helpful for freelancers like myself.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Notification Sounds When Skype Has Been Closed (But Not Exited/Logged Out).

I use Skype for work and my taskbar can get quite cluttered so I like to close unused programs. We should be able to close Skype (not minimize!) and still be able to receive notifications/messages even though it's not open. Basically running in the background. So far, I can't do this but it would be amazingly helpful for freelancers like myself.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. disable members chats in skype group and only admin can post in skype group.

I want to disable members of skype group to chat in group. I am the admin of group. I post projects details in that group and just want that only me can post in group and not other members can do this. Is this possible?

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Separate volume control for the ringer.

Separate volume control for the ringer.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. notification - Higher volume or choice in sound needed

Since I switched to the latest Skype I no longer notice when someone has pinged me on IM. The notification seems smaller or only is on the corner of the icon in my tray not sure which. Also the type of sounds is not as noticeable. More of a murmur and turning the volume up does not help as I listen to music all day so either:
    Give us ability to change the type sound to something a bit more shrill
    " " ability to isolate the notification volume to a higher level than set up for everything else
    Lastly,…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base