Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow the user to choose whether to upgrade to a new version. Force updates are a NIGHTMARE to support as you often get it wrong!

Allow the user to choose whether to upgrade to a new version. Force updates are a NIGHTMARE to support as you often get it wrong! I have remote living 80 year olds who rely on skype to communicate with friends so when you get it wrong they die! Well they are not happy for a few months till I turn up for a visit!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pictures no longer open in an external image viewer, please fix this because your viewer sux

Pictures no longer open in an external image viewer, please fix this because your viewer sux

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Remove the semi transparent black layer when “moving your mouse”

In the new version of Skype there’s something super annoying. I’m in call with someone. Yay someone is sharing her screen. If I love my mouse, the call controls show up at the bottom of the screen (Mac) and a semi transparent black layer appears obscuring the screen share.. please fix so the semi transparent layer only exists right beneath the call controls - there is not only no need to make this layer the entire screen size but it’s also annoying as people can’t see what is being shared. This is a show stopper for graphic or UI designers…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Working on it  ·  0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Why don't you go back to the old features that worked and were good from the time Skype started... instead of buying it and f*****g it up.

Why don't you go back to the old features that worked and were good from the time Skype started... instead of buying it and f*****g it up. Spent last 15 minutes or more trying to leave a video message for my friend.... very simple to d oin earlier versions.... now seems impossible.

Keep on making stupid new additions or substractions to ***** up old folks and I will go back to using Messenger

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Full Participant Gallery View

I would love to see a gallery view similar to other video conferencing platforms. A view where all of the participants in the call can be seen simultaneously. Though I understand that there may be legitimate reasons to keep the image larger and limit the number who are visible, the current version with 4 participants and the ribbon up top is useless for a large group discussion. Thank you!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Window Sizes!

Where is the problem to set the maximum width of the window to a smaller amount and resize the buttons automatically. This is on of the biggest points why people didn't want to change from Skype7 to Skype8 but you st***d developers has nothing else to do except making the application usable with the finger on a touch screen!

NOT EVERY ONE USES A TOUCH SCREEN ON WINDOWS 10 !

THERE ARE people outside who wants to use Skype but use a mouse as they did the last 20 years!

Where is the problem to make a small "sidebar" mode…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. remove list of robots from skype browser

remove the list of robots from skype browser. seriously, why doesn't anyone want a list of robots?!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please give the split window feature. It's the only thing keeping me from ditching skype and just using discord.

Now that I've been forced to update, split window is gone. It's the only thing that Skype had that I preferred over discord, so if it doesn't have it there's really no reason for me to use skype.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please keep the Skype design philosophies separated between mobile and desktop.

You've seemed insistent that mobile interfaces are the future of computing, and you're right in that they they are the future of computing FOR MOBILE DEVICES.

Apple figured out how to improve the desktop experience. Microsoft originally had almost mastered it with Windows 7, and instead of improving on that even more, Microsoft decided that mobile operating systems are the future, and they've never let up on it.

When Skype was released, there wasn't such a thing as smartphones yet. Up until Skype 8 for Windows, it was still very much a desktop-centric app.

If people want to use…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Dark theme more black

Dark theme of Android app should be totally black, for energy saving at AMOLED displays.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Less wasted UI space and many more options, and act on complaints!

I now hate Skype. Why? Because it takes up so much space and no longer has a proper conpact mode. I hate the update nags and the drastic UI deterioration, from version to version. Why don't you simply allow more options? Then, you could foist whatever UI you want on new users, but show some respect/loyalty to long-term users (been a user for prob 20 years) by allowing UI tailoring as they want. It's not exactly a new idea. What IS new is the "we know best" approach that is so evident. What is this "Suggest" thing for, and why…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Colors

Pls add more colors for the messaging like green and red.
    That would be really cool.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Could you please provide an option to customise the theme colours, which now we have only dark and light. This would be a massive tool.

Could you please provide an option to customise the theme colours, which now we have only dark and light. This would be a massive tool for the users who are often engaged with Skype. Customising the overall theme layout would be handy for developers who give this as a massive support, if you could implement for us.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Skype for Teaching -- whiteboard, etc...

Give an additional module to the basic Skype , and call it 'skype for teaching' with whiteboard function and other functions that may be useful for people using Skype for teaching , but NOT using the business version as that is not specific enough in scope / purpose to be used for Teaching / Tuition over skype.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. bring back SKYPE 7 without delay!! (Skype 8 is #&*$@! atrocious)

I'm completely frustrated with the lack of functionality, dumbed-down and crash-prone tendencies of the new Skype 8 - so much so I want to find an alternative service (off MSFT) to switch to. Skype 7 was so much better, and it should be brought back.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Why was skype 8 update pushed on users despite being unpolished as if in alpha version, while lacking all features that skype 7 had?

I want locally saved messages in order to view history of the chat and ability to export Skype 8 chat history for all contacts.
    Furthermore why is Skype 8 still using up to 1.6Ghz of CPU and as well as up to 3gb og RAM when loading old history, causing the program to become highly unresponsive.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. copy big block (conversation etc.)

copy(select and copy) big block (conversation etc.) should be easy and no pain **********

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. We need size control of programme windows

SKYPE's Windows' needs to be more RESIZABLE. It is 500+ pixels wide and 750+ pixels long at its MINIMUM size. This is outrageous because it uses more than 33% of my screen real estate. The same is true for an open contact window. If you need a minimum size it should be 350 pixels for BOTH width AND length. What if I want to speak to two different people? What about three? Stop being so GREEDY so that your programme is the ONLY program that will fit on the screen, crippling any other ongoing work.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Skype dont have background option. please incorporate it,

Skype dont have background option. please incorporate it,

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)