Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Skype Message Search - Contains or Starts with text search instead of full text (word) match search

Allow finding text (Ctrl +F) in a chat conversation to contain search rather than full word match search.

"Searching in conversation (or chat) with text is taken as full-text match search and not contains or starts with search."

For eg: If there is a word with name "message" in recent conversations, searching with a text like "mes" doesn't find or give any results, only if we search with complete text like "message" it finds or gives the results.

This is a very necessary and valuable feature to have, which used to work in older versions of Skype.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/searching-in-conversation-or-chat-with-text-is/b6e73ed5-a085-45ed-839a-af4a2d402a2b

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export entire lifespan of conversation, with dates, names, times, image previews

Wouldn't it be great to select all in a conversation history with someone, copy and paste it, and everything pasted , the ENTIRE chat, plus dates names and times, AND image/link previews?

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Delete Per message

Make it possible to delete a message per message from sender, not the whole conversation, as per own messages currently.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. option to Delete multiple chats at a time

Its difficult to delete chats one by one. Kindly add an option to select multiple chats and delete them all together...

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Send Messages! This should be a given.

I was using the most current version of Skype on my Windows 7 machine and my husband was using the most current version of Skype for his Windows 10 machine at his workplace. He would send messages and I would not receive them. I had Skype on my phone. Occasionally I would see a message from him there that did not show up on my desktop version, or the other way around.

I asked the Skype community and chatted with two skype workers only to be told I was the only one with this complaint so there was nothing that…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Skype for Web - Bring back the support for most OS and browsers!

Recent Skype for Web update supports only Windows 10, macOS (and Chrome, Edge browsers only) So rest of the OS (e.g. Linux, Chrome OS) and browsers (e.g. Firefox, Opera) no longer has the access to Skype for Web! This is very disappointing from different aspects.

(Example-1) I need to access my Skype urgently on someone else's device but they're using the unsupported platform. So my work is undone. So lack of portability support will encourage me to switch to other messaging platforms.

(Example-2) Some people might feel complicated to use the Skype client for whatever reasons, and no access to…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Activate or Deactivate spell checker when taping message

Add the option "Spell Checker on/off" when taping messages

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. in old version the user can delete a message from conversation; but currently we can not delete message from conversation the delete option

in old version the user can delete a message from conversation; but currently we can not delete message from conversation the delete option is disable why??????????

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Skype Number should be allowed to receive text.

You can send messages from your Skype Number if you set it as primary on Skype. It would be nice if a person could receive messages on their device. A person could potentially turn a tablet or PC that only has wifi into a device that can make/ receive calls and text. Only the receiving part is missing.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Sound Alert for Incoming Messages while skype and a chat is opened in skype for windows desktop

There was a useful feature in skype8 that it can indicate incoming messages with a sound even when the application/or/chat is currently opened, but in v8.3.4, there is no such option remains in the skype settings, nor under notifications or sounds. Why have you removed that feature? there is no logic to remove this option without any solid reason in skype desktop client. It was very helpful for a VI user to know about new message with an audio alert. Kindly do something positive and bring that feature back to skype8 series. so we can try to use it with…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. There is No Translator, so Skype should add the translator Features.

There is No Translator, so Skype should add the translator Features also which can Convert Any Language into Any Forms of Other Language....

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Better if you can provide date and time of chat like old version in chate window

Hi, I request you to continue with old feature and keep date and time of chat in Skype chat box. in new version this is missing

Thank you

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow free SMS via carrier SMS -> Email gateways

Most cell carriers have an SMS -> Email gateway. This allows messages to be sent for free via email to any SMS number. This would be an alternative to requiring a cellular account to send SMS messages as they could be sent from the Skype network via an outbound email gateway. Also, it would eliminate the ludicrous 11¢ per message charge for outbound SMS with Skype credit. Google manages to support it via Google Talk for free so why can't Skype?

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search in the full chat history with a single click (even in the old, hidden messages)

It is very hard to extract info from the chat history (almost impossible) because ctrl+f currently works only in the visible chat history, and it is very hard to scroll back a few years in time...
    So lets have a find option to search the full history.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Always leave the text chat up in a call

I can't tell you how many times I'm text chatting with someone in skype and we get on a call for business. They'll include a customer on the call but the call is to a cell. We want the text session open so we can discuss things without talking or muting the call. Sure we can open a text session but this is about as stupid as on a cell phone when you call a number and have to bring up the dialpad as most businesses have IVR. What is the point of hiding the text? Also we'll have conversations…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. A feature that enables you to turn of the automatic emojis. So when i type ':)' it sends ':)' not the Skype emoji.

A feature that enables you to turn of the automatic emojis. So when i type ':)' it sends ':)' not the Skype emoji.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Why can't I bulk delete Recent Chats? What a rubbish!

Why can't I bulk delete Recent Chats? What a rubbish!

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Clear Chat history or enable marking to multiple deletion

Make available to option to clear chat history, or available checkbox option to marking chats for important or to delete

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Delet and Clear Several Conversations

Delete and Clear conversations like whatsapp.
    I should have the ability to select several conversations and delete them at same time. In the current way I should delete each conversation alone. I think it is very easy option and I do not know how a well known famous messenger company could miss such silly option.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please help us to be able to delete received messages on Skype

Please help us to be able to delete received messages on Skype

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)