Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to adjust the size of the chat window

Let us adjust the size of the chat window.

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the react button on each message much more subtle

Possibly only visible when mouse over
    Or in the RightClick (context) menu.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Skype to send SMS to mobile numbers

Apart from the Win32 app, it is literally impossible to use Skype to send an SMS to an arbitrary mobile number. Fix this.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Working on it  ·  Erin at Skype responded

Hi – We’d love more details about your experience here.

If you have Skype credits you do have the ability to send SMS by going to the profile of the person you want to SMS and choosing “Send SMS”.

You can also send an SMS to an arbitrary number from the dial pad by entering the phone number and selecting the SMS button to the left of the call button.

Additionally we are adding the ability to SMS via your Android phone with SMS Connect, which recently rolled out to insiders. Keep an eye out for this feature coming to all builds in the next few months.

4. Private Conversation Improvements (End-to-end encryption)

End to end encryption. Self destructive messages, ability to stop users from taking screenshots in secret chats, etc..

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently released end-to-end encryption via the Private Conversations feature Brian mentioned below and would love any feedback about how you use it, what you think of it, and what you’d like to see us do next.

Please add your feedback here for features you’d like to see in Private Conversations.

5. Skypeme!

Bring back Skypeme or something similar so you can meet new people, not only talk to your you know! I've met many people this way who I still am in contact with 10 years on!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Return SMS syncing/sending.

And make it work more reliably while you're at it.

Skype is of zero value to me without this. I only know one other person who uses Skype for other than SMS.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

SMS via Skype is one of the areas we’re working on improving.

We’ve recently launched SMS Connect to Insiders which enables you to connect your Skype desktop client to your Android phone so that you can send and receive SMS from your phone on your Desktop.

More info here – https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_insiderms-skype_insnewsms/skype-insider-preview-8307641-read-respond-to-your/896846ad-9701-4f1d-9dee-640d95442b8e

Skype also has the ability to send SMS messages to contacts if you have Skype credits.

Please let us know if there’s additional functionality you’re looking for in this area. Otherwise, stay tuned for SMS Connect arriving in the Release builds soon.

7. Fix voice notes / audios

I use Skype as my main messaging app but my friends complain about voice notes /audios, you have to wait a very long time to finally listen the audio. Also you can't send voice notes from the desktop app and the android app doesn't lock the screen, if you record long audios and you don't pay attention to your phone screen, the phone gets locked and you lose the audio you were recoding

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix groups! Groups don't send notifications

For some reason groups in Skype 8 don't send notifications and I end ignoring my teammates. Please

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make Skype a full sms app that can replace or work along side a stock messaging app like WhatsApp does

Skype could be the best sms app but you need to allow it to especially work on phones and connect to a desktop PC via some web link. Google messenger and whatsapp both have this option why can't Microsoft allow this. Use Microsoft authenticator easy way better than a quarter code.
    Skype has the potential but is slipping behind all the other apps because of the lack of this feature

205 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fast Sync like Telegram!

Fast Sync like Telegram!

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Notify all devices always

Please ensure that all messages come through to my phone. I'll often get messages that appear on my desktop version of Skype but not on my phone and therefore I don't actually know about the message. So please always notify all devices. It's very annoying.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Always leave the text chat up in a call

I can't tell you how many times I'm text chatting with someone in skype and we get on a call for business. They'll include a customer on the call but the call is to a cell. We want the text session open so we can discuss things without talking or muting the call. Sure we can open a text session but this is about as stupid as on a cell phone when you call a number and have to bring up the dialpad as most businesses have IVR. What is the point of hiding the text? Also we'll have conversations…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow the option of making it your default text app on Android phones just like we had on Windows phone

Allow the option of making it your default text app on Android phones just like we had on Windows phone

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. support copy/paste of ANY media type

It should be possible to copy/paste any media type to or from Skype.

Skype should provide all possible clipboard formats for data copied from Skype. Ex, If I copy a jpg photo someone sent me, it should be provided to the clipboard in all possible image formats (dib, wmf, gif, png, jpg, tiff, bmp, ...) and if the image contain text, then the output of an OCR of the image should be there as well. The original type is the default.

When copying data to Skype, a best effort should be made to get that data into the message. As…

247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all who voted for this suggestion! We are continuously working to improve the quality and functionality of Skype to meet your needs and really appreciate your support and patience. I’ll let you know if anything changes.
    - Petr

15. Send Messages! This should be a given.

I was using the most current version of Skype on my Windows 7 machine and my husband was using the most current version of Skype for his Windows 10 machine at his workplace. He would send messages and I would not receive them. I had Skype on my phone. Occasionally I would see a message from him there that did not show up on my desktop version, or the other way around.

I asked the Skype community and chatted with two skype workers only to be told I was the only one with this complaint so there was nothing that…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Navigate history by time period (previous month, etc)

We should be able to go to a previous date, or at least rough time period, fairly easily. This isn't even very good on Skype 7, but at least it makes an attempt.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. A movable border between typing area and past messages

The divider should allow being moved and remember its position. Again, like in Skype 7.

Often I want a larger typing area than one line at the start (rather than waiting), and it's tedious resizing it with a bunch of Ctrl-Enters. Even then you're limited.

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Autosave an unsent chat message

In the case of an app or system crash, most (if not all) of the unsent text would be there afterwards. The way it is now, all unsent text is lost, which sometimes is extremely painful.

Plenty of programs can do this, such as Telegram or Word. It should be especially easy for Skype due to the cloud.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hide avatars in the chat window

We know who we're chatting with. Seeing an endless stream of avatars doesn't improve on that.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back /showplaces and /remotelogout

Inexplicably, early in 2018 those two commands were disabled across the board in Skype, including v7. There was no explanation for this, as scores of other commands still exist.

Bring them back, since with all the devices these days, it's easy to leave yourself logged in somewhere. These commands will show you where and let you logout instantly from all other devices.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base