Welcome to Skype Ideas!

To help us build the best version of Skype ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas so we can improve your Skype experience.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check if it’s already been suggested and vote for your favorites.
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit it.
  • Please include only one suggestion per post.
  • Ideas older than 5 months with less than 5 votes will be deleted.
  • If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Skype!
The Skype Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Older verison of skype

I like the older version of skype and I've read about plenty of other people that refer the older version skype 7.40 or 7.41. I liked the layout of it because it was easier to find what I was looking for and whenever somebody was online I knew they were online instead of guessing if they're online or not it is frustrating to me, I do like that we are able to personalize the newer version of skype but I don't like anything else about it.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Double-click a contact to call

Another feature from older Skypes.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I think everyone agrees that the redesigned Skype 8 is cumbersome and difficult to use

Instead of beating a dead horse and reiterating all of the ideas below, my suggestions for the new Skype 9 are simple:

1. Skype is the only messaging app that I know of that doesn't allow me to use my volume buttons to snap a picture. Please bring that back. One handed operation of any app is pretty standard these days and it's absolutely absurd to force users to use the button on the screen to take a picture. It becomes even more cumbersome if you're trying to record a video.

2. The new message notification is so unobtrusive that I can't…
    29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Some of the most consistent feedback we’ve received from you, our most dedicated users, has to do with sounds and how you are notified about the goings on in Skype 8. We are deeply interested in meeting your needs, and we need your help prioritizing the work we will dive into and the order in which we will accomplish it.

Please be honest with how badly you need these options. We understand that all of these things are important. By rating something lower than another item, you won’t remove it from our To Do list, but rather we’ll get your MUST DOs done first.

In the survey for the scale options please rank how important each item is for you. With 1 being not very important to you and 5 being very important.

https://feedback.skype.com/survey/answer/uvcmp

Thank you
    Petr

4. Can you make the screen share like it was before.

One of the things that's a bit annoying about sharing the screen is there's a bunch of useless clutter when watching a screen share that's impossible to get rid of. Also it's not proper full screen anymore. Can you restore it to how it was before ruining it thanks?

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. share screen - full screen

Add back the option to double click for full screen while someone else is sharing his screen, this option was very useful in the old versions of Skype and everyone I talked to missing it.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please allow personalised voicemail greetings.

Instead of the default Skype voicemail greeting, it would be much better if you could personalise the greeting before someone leaves a message.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Blocked Skype Users Can Not Call You

A BLOCKED Skype user should not be able to ring/call your Skype! Are you working on this MS? And will this major bug be fixed in Classic Skype 7 as well as future updates? I get multiple calls through out the night because people from india call my Skype, even when I have blocked and removed from contacts. I have set Skype to forward all calls to my home phone. Now to fix this I have to forward calls to my Google Voice where I can set office hours to forward calls again to my home phone. Surely Skype can…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 建议SKYPE共享声音与共享屏幕独立出来

建议SKYPE共享声音与共享屏幕独立出来

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Volume control per person

make it so we can turn individual person up and down

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add contact to an existing call

When in a call with a contact - if another contact changes status to Online you can then drag and drop that contact into the call you're already in. This worked perfectly in v7 but in v8 you have to carry out multiple steps to achieve the same result. Please keep it simple. This is great for online business meetings/gaming/family calls when contacts arrive online at different times.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 在旧版本的基础上加上录屏的功能

旧版本很好用,新版本只是华丽的外表,并没实际用处,更多的是不方便!

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Audio

Use of audio codec from earlier Skype platforms (prior to sale to MS, or Skype 7 at least!) Musicians who use this service for teaching and rehearsing cannot approach the audio quality of old Skype or
    current FaceTime even with high quality microphones.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make it possible to use the text chat during a video call

Classic Skype had this neat compact design where the video call was in the upper part of the window and the text chat was right below it.
    It made it easy to text messages while simultaneously seeing the person on video call, all very compact on the right side of my screen. Since Skype 8, I can only switch between pure video call and pure text messaging (unless I go into full screen where both is available).

Please bring back this split view of video in the upper part and text chat in the lower part of the window, without…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need the ability to mute the ringer for incoming and calls and messages.

Need the ability to mute the ringer or adjust the volume for incoming and calls and messages.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dear team, Please be informed that I have used Skype with pleasure for many years on my iPad 9.3.6 it was suggested by Microsoft to update

Dear team,

Please be informed that I have used Skype with pleasure for many years on my iPad 9.3.6
    it was suggested by Microsoft to update Skype, which I did but then it appeared that Skype is no longer available for iPad below version10.
    i have checked on the internet and discovered that I’m not the only one who is victimised by your one sided action.
    Would it not have been appropriate to inform before hand instead of after wards that updating will be the end of the operations of Skype on iPad 9.3.6.
    As you are well aware we…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Actually is not possible to know WHO in a group call turn off participants or mute the audio. Would you please introduce this function?

Actually is not possible to know WHO in a group call turn off participants or mute the audio. Would you please introduce this function?

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Screen share on multiple devices

I love screen sharing but my friends do to we want to screen share at the same time which we can't do I want to know if it is possible if we can screen share at the same on multiple devices so you can have many people screen sharing at the same time

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Display full width of everyone's video feed

Please make it so that everyone's full video is displayed horizontally by default when in a group video call with two or more users. It's incredibly annoying to have 66% of someone's video hidden on the UI when all video feeds are shown in the main window since they are displayed in a vertical orientation.

I understand this is implemented to "fill" the user's screen but it's a bad approach in my opinion. Skype 7 would show the full width of everyone's video when their cameras were enabled. Now however, someone's video feed is always cropped to display in a…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Siri integration- please bring it back

Since version 8.1 release the Siri integration no longer works (e.g. Siri call Jane on Skype)

This really hinders some of our Skype calling bots as well as general usability issues for general iOS users.

See open topic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skypeios-skypecallms-skype_audioms/skype-81-not-integrated-with-siri-anymore/29fa350c-9c88-4f89-b3bd-194dfbd11a0b?messageId=75e08c20-7c1b-45d5-aba7-ab6c5985a38b for more example of frustration on this feature removal.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ringing

Here's an idea - fix the damned ringing feature. I have enabled "ringing on another device" but my PC speakers, although selected, don't ring on incoming calls. The ringing is sent to my headphones as they are set as the default sound devices for calls but if I'm not wearing them I can't hear the bloody ringing.

This worked fine before you lot f*cked everything up with v8.
    Total bunch of muppets.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Audio and Video Calling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Working on it  ·  Cagla at Skype responded

Hi there,
    Sorry to hear this feature isn’t working for you.
    Just like in v7, you can only ring your speakers in addition to your headphones if the OS detects any other device other than the internal sound card so 3.5mm headphones wouldn’t work.

If you are still running into the issue using supported OS devices, we will work on fixing it, but we first need your logs.

To send your logs, you need to be on Skype Preview. You can download it from https://www.skype.com/en/insider/. Once you have Skype Preview running, send us your feedback and logs from the app by going to “Settings” , “Help and Feedback" and then clicking on “Report a Problem”.

Thanks!

• Don't see your idea?

Welcome to Skype Ideas!

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base