Skype Ideas

Ability to disable link, image, and other media previews

Of course, Skype 7 lets you disable these things.

100 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • boolka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the *sender* to suppress the images selectively per message.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we share any link through skype.. It genrate a preview / thumbnail kinda thing just below the message. I think there should be an option in setting to chose if a user want to those link's thumbnail below the messages or not.

• Brian S Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With just a ton more work the Horrible Skype 8 will be almost as useful as Skype 7. Why should we upgrade again? Oh, yeah, because Microsoft wants to foist a less capable program on us because they say so. No thank you.

You can have my Skype 7 when you take it from my cold dead computer.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we're at it, can we get a setting to disable emojis, please. (Not hide them completely, just leave them as text. You know, like Skype 7 did.)

I think this maybe a privacy issue as Skype probably renders the previews via the Skype network, so Microsoft can probably see all media content. Based in the UK/Europe I am wondering if this is a GDPR violation?

And with the news that older versions of Skype will soon be unsupported, I and everyone at our office will be looking at an alternative if there isn't a way to disable the media previews in version 8+

make an option to block the link previews, its a real mess when you send 6 links and the whole conversation is taken up by images

• john commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to completely disable link previews, and ideally all previews. I post links hundreds of times a day between my development teams, and they are a disaster for us.

• Balázs Gerlei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, even when displaying link previews, display the original url above the preview, it often contains valuable information about the link.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be settings for how to display these inline (link text, icon, preview, etc.) with a global setting and overrides for individual file/media types.

Again, the option, please! Impaired sight needs things more easily identified; others not so much.

Feedback and Knowledge Base